My first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Holmes

Reaction score
My first keg of beer. A scotish ale 60 just put her in. Fridge is 43* F gas set at 12# . We'll see how it goes.

image.jpg

Good idea with the drip tray underneath... I need to do something like that for my keezer.

You really don't need a tray - unless it's to hold leaks from a picnic tap.
In six years running six fixed faucets I've never had beer on my keezer floor.
Epic pools of condensation in the dog days of August that require wet vac treatment - hell yes! - but no beer.

But picnic taps are notoriously unreliable, so I could totally see the use for that tray.

To the OP: congrats! :mug: You're going to love kegging.
Now the hard part begins: waiting patiently to allow that keg to hit perfect carbonation.
Go buy a couple weeks worth of beer while you wait...

Cheers! ;)

the tray was left in there so the keg would stand up the back of the fridge is slanted and the tray allows the keg to stay upright untill i build a platform in there

As pointed out, my comment about the drip tray being useful comes from the use of picnic taps. When I got into this keezer thing, I thought "man, no way I'm going to drop 100s of dollars on faucets... these picnic taps will dispense beer."

Now I get it.

Congrats on your new keg, but I'm wondering about your beer line. Maybe it's just the pic but it doesn't look like 3/16"ID. It also looks on the short side, I'm hoping your next thread isn't about big time foam.

was told it was 3/16 got it from friar tucks only place around here that carries any brew supplies it only comes in 6ft precut lengths. i ordered 12' online hasnt got here yet. used the 6ft to test keg with star san in it to make sure it sealed thought id try the 6ft with the beer see what happens been trying to learn about equalizing the system through reading

Must just be the pic then. Hopefully you'll be okay. Some folks seem to do just fine with short lines but I've always needed 10-12 ft for a reliable pour.
:mug:

Yeah, kegging is great. I still bottle some when my 3 kegs are full, but what is best about it is the time it saves. So much faster to clean/sanitize. Won't be long until you buy more kegs!

Congrats OP!! :mug:

I hope to join the club myself in the next few weeks. Have a Caramel Amber Ale fermenting and I'm trying to complete my keezer build before it's ready...

Post back when you pull your first beer from it and describe the feeling... :ban:

I've been kegging for a few years now and this reminds me of a story...

I started Kegging because I wanted to knock off Guinness and I had to have nitrogen. I built my kegerator or keezer and started with CO2 for my first kegged batch a lawnmower blonde. Then tried my Guinness clone and added a Stout Faucet.

On the first night hooking up my Guinness Corny, I didn't finish the connections for the faucet and left the gas on at pressure.

It was late, I went to bed and I didn't notice the poppet was leaking slightly. For whatever reason, I woke up in the middle of the night and can tell you that 3 gallons of Guinness on your floor at 3:00 am is not a pleasant sight. I lived in an apartment at the time and was on the second floor. The neighbors below never complained, but I'd imagine the and ants loved it.

Back