My First IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyAngelo

Reaction score
Recipe: House IPA (v1.0)
Style: American IPA
Type: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 3.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 lb Gold Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM)
6.00 lb Gold Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM) [Boil for 15 mins]
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Summit [18.50 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Summit [18.50 %] (45 min)
0.25 oz Summit [18.50 %] (30 min)
0.25 oz Summit [18.50 %] (20 min)
0.25 oz Summit [18.50 %] (10 min)
0.75 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (5 min)
0.75 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)[Use starter]

0.50 oz Summit [18.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Notes:
------
My first attempt at a house IPA. Any comments would be appreciated.

It really depends on what you want for the IPA. I go for a firm bitter from the 60 minute addition and then pack all the rest of the hops from 20 to flameout. But I like more of a floral IPA than just a bitter IPA. I also use a little higher crystal (40, 60 and 90 blend) for some more complexity than just crystal sweetness. *shrug* Again, depends on what you want.

Be interesting to hear about the Ahtanum. I've never tried them. :mug:

Looks tasty. I used Summit hops in my last IPA with great results. This should end up being a light, citrusy IPA that would hit the spot on a warm summer day. I don't see any major issues with your recipe so I'd say go for it.

Thanks for the comments

I go for a firm bitter from the 60 minute addition and then pack all the rest of the hops from 20 to flameout. But I like more of a floral IPA than just a bitter IPA.

Spreading out the bittering additions over the first 30 min is an attempt to round out the bitterness and let the flavor/aroma come through. I've seen two basic types of IPA recipes, those that throw hops in at every possible point and those that stick to a 60, 15, 5, 0 pattern.

My plan is to try this recipe in a number of different ways...

I also use a little higher crystal (40, 60 and 90 blend) for some more complexity than just crystal sweetness.

and that is something I plan on playing with down the road. For V1 I wanted to keep the malt simple and find a hop schedual that I like. I like the cyrstal blend idea though, I'll try that eventually.

Be interesting to hear about the Ahtanum. I've never tried them. :mug:

I'll let you know. I plan on brewing this either this weekend or early next week.

Ahtanum are one of the most "underappreciated" hops. They are very nice in APA and IPA styles. Just brewed my 3rd batch using them for flavor addition.

Looks like a good base recipe to tweak to your liking. Personally, I'd start with a slightly darker crystal like 40L and then adjust from there on subsequent batches. I think that the 20L would have a tough time coming through in a 1.17 BU:GU ratio.

Actually, if you're going to be tweaking, you might want to start with 60L so you can go up or down in Lovibond. Starting at the lower end of 20L only allows you to tweak in one direction really. Just my two cents, you may have a very good reason for starting at 20L.

I do the 60, 15, 5, dry hop and love it. I think that's much better than the 45 and 30 min additions and will save you hops. This is pretty bitter for a house beer which leaves me with two thoughts. Either

1. You don't realize how bitter this is and for a house beer a it might be too much for most.

2. or you're house beer is going to be an intese IPA. No measley Pale ales or blonds need apply the house beer is a kick you in the teeth IPA!!!

Looks like a good base recipe to tweak to your liking. Personally, I'd start with a slightly darker crystal like 40L and then adjust from there on subsequent batches. I think that the 20L would have a tough time coming through in a 1.17 BU:GU ratio.

Actually, if you're going to be tweaking, you might want to start with 60L so you can go up or down in Lovibond. Starting at the lower end of 20L only allows you to tweak in one direction really. Just my two cents, you may have a very good reason for starting at 20L.

That's a good point. I don't have a good reason for starting at twenty, other than just trying to keep it light in color. Thanks for your input.

I do the 60, 15, 5, dry hop and love it. I think that's much better than the 45 and 30 min additions and will save you hops. This is pretty bitter for a house beer which leaves me with two thoughts. Either

I will likely try this schedual at some point for comparisons sake.

1. You don't realize how bitter this is and for a house beer a it might be too much for most.

If it's too bitter than I can tone it down in subsequent batches, but yes, it is off the gravity/hops graph chart.

2. or you're house beer is going to be an intese IPA. No measley Pale ales or blonds need apply the house beer is a kick you in the teeth IPA!!!

Surly Furious is my favorite beer just to give you some perspective. It claims to be 100 IBU's. :cross:

I have a 10 gallon stainless brewpot. When i moved and left my propane behind i started boiling on a stovetop. I do all grain 5 gallon batches by putting the pot over both burners. It's works just fine. Not ideal but not ideal.

Back