My first infected batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallDan

Internet Hobo - Sheepmaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of a weird looking half and half pellicle.
(With and without flash)
IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

What your seeing is a battle for wort domination.

Last edited:
This is a porter that i brewed on 9/3/2018 (pretty sure I used an Edmund Fitzgerald clone recipe from the HBT DB, but didn't make a note of which one). Most all of my beers I will let sit for a while and give them plenty of time to finish, this one I just kinda forgot about and left in the primary until today, so a little over two months. Took the lid off of the fermenter, and saw what you see above. Only a slightly solvent-like smell to it, nothing particularly sour or off-putting. OG 1.058 FG 1.009. So, certainly higher attenuation than would have been expected with s-04.

If I didn't see that in the fermenter, I'm not sure I would have detected anything off when i tasted the gravity sample. It mostly tasted like a porter. Paying close attention to it, it seems maybe a little thin, and I got some slight off-flavors, but I'm proceeding with kegging and carbonating it.

Don't rack/keg it yet.

Let it sour longet and hit it with oak and dark fruit (currants/cherries) later.

Could turn out amazing.

Don't rack/keg it yet.

Let it sour longet and hit it with oak and dark fruit (currants/cherries) later.

Could turn out amazing.
Too late, it's in the keg in the kegerator cooling and carbonating. I did briefly consider letting it go though.

So, months later...

This porter drinks just fine. Most homebrewers are shocked when they taste the beer and then see the pictures I posted above. It's far from the best beer I've ever tasted, but by no means is it bad.

beer is proof god loves us! a'men, and let there be beer! (glad it worked out!)

So, months later...

This porter drinks just fine. Most homebrewers are shocked when they taste the beer and then see the pictures I posted above. It's far from the best beer I've ever tasted, but by no means is it bad.

Is there an obvious sourness at all?

Did you keep it cold after kegging?

Is there an obvious sourness at all?

Did you keep it cold after kegging?
No obvious sourness. There might be a hint of it, but just a hint, and if i don't think about those pictures when i drink it, there's no sourness at all. :)

The day I posted those pics, it went into a keg and was chilled and carbonated. It's been kept cold and carbonated ever since.

No obvious sourness. There might be a hint of it, but just a hint, and if i don't think about those pictures when i drink it, there's no sourness at all. :)

The day I posted those pics, it went into a keg and was chilled and carbonated. It's been kept cold and carbonated ever since.

My guess, and this is mostly a guess, would be perhaps there is a nasty in there but because you cooled it past their range for being active maybe you inhibited further growth? Again, just a thought!

Just kicked this keg. As is the case with many beers, the last glass was the best. Wish I had more...

Actually, I did have more. Sad story: I poured myself a glass of this beer while brewing about two months ago. Didn't notice at the time that the tap didn't quite close all of the way when I was done. A very fine stream of beer was flowing out of the faucet into the drip tray. It was probably like that for at least a half hour and maybe over an hour. When I went back for another pour, the drip tray and it's catch bottle were overflowed and beer was overflowing into the carpet and splashing all over the front of the keezer. No idea how much beer was dumped into the basement carpet, but i vacuumed up as much as i could.

Posthumously, i dub this beer Calamity Porter. Maybe I shouldn't try to brew clones of beers named after shipwrecks.

Looks like orcs on the left side. I dont know what I'd do if someone handed me a beer then showed me that pic after I'd drank it. Indian burns at the very least, possibly culminating in a wedgie.

“Didn't notice at the time that the tap didn't quite close all of the way when I was done.”

Just curious what brand/type of tap was it?

The only infected beer I've had was also a porter that sat in the fermentor about 5 weeks. The pellicle was over the entire surface. Bottled about 3.5 gallons of the 5 gallon batch, wanted to limit the baddies that got bottled, and after bottle conditioning turned out fine.

LHBS dudes brewed a Pecan Porter. Somehow got infected. Ended up being one of the best sours I've ever had. Just never know!

My first attempt at a RIS developed a light pellicle after about 3 weeks. It slowly sank/disappeared over the next 3 months, then I bottled. Turned out awesome, I can't detect any off flavors, nor could my brew buddies.

Kind of a weird looking half and half pellicle.
(With and without flash)
View attachment 596556
View attachment 596557

Ah, yeah, doesn't look correct to me unless a sour porter is the goal. Perhaps a new style?

Any idea the cause of the infection? I ask as a few years ago I purchased a Blichmann 14 gallon conical from another brewer. The brewer was honest in admitting his last several batches were infected. Arriving home I disassemble everything and I mean everything. The nylon barb on the ball valve is green/black with mold! Clean everything thoroughly and replace the da*n nylon barb with stainless. I've since fermented several batches in the Blichmann without issues (or souring or infection).

Last edited:
“Didn't notice at the time that the tap didn't quite close all of the way when I was done.”

Just curious what brand/type of tap was it?
Perlick ss forward seal. Don’t remember the model number off the top of my head. I don’t entirely blame the faucet though, I was lazy hadn’t cleaned it for a while when it happened. After cleaning, it hasn’t leaked again in the last month or so.
Ah, yeah, doesn't look correct to me unless a sour porter is the goal. Perhaps a new style?

Any idea the cause of the infection? I ask as a few years ago I purchased a Blichmann 14 gallon conical from another brewer. The brewer was honest in admitting his last several batches were infected. Arriving home I disassemble everything and I mean everything. The nylon barb on the ball valve is green/black with mold! Clean everything thoroughly and replace the da*n nylon barb with stainless. I've since fermented several batches in the Blichmann with issues (or souring or infection).
Not sure, but I haven’t used that fermenter since then. It was a indiegogo thing from a few years ago, they’re basically 7.5g stainless steel milk cans. They’re decent for what we paid for them but there are lots of rough spots on the inside. My guess is that I didn’t get it cleaned and sanitized well. I would clean it thoroughly and use it again, but I got a deal on a couple ss brew tech conicals and a glycol chiller since then!

Back