My first gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt my first gose this weekend by brewing the "There She Gose Again" all grain recipe with acidulated malt from the BYO website. One modification is I plan to substitute the Santiam hops with US Tettananger because the homebrew shop didn't have Santiam.

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2349-gose

I'm considering splitting the batch at secondary and adding some wild frozen blackberries to one half.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on gose in general, the above recipe, use of acidulated malt, my hop substitution, or how much fruit to add at secondary?

I read about a dozen previous gose threads and they all seem fairly similar to the above recipe. I'm pretty excited to branch out from my usual pale ales and IPAs.

Well since I just returned from Leipzig last month I can attest that a Gose is not a hop forward beer, therefore the use of another hop will not be noticed. I imagine real Gose has a Hallertau type hop anyway. It's a wonderful beer as we were able to sample three different ones!

It should be fine with the hop switch. I've had one done with sorachi ace and it was fantastic. The lemony hop went well with the tart characteristics of the Gose.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Only thing I can say is that less than 20% acid malt won't be that tart. I've done Gose with 20% and 25% acid malt, and prefer 25%. It's still not overwhelmingly tart, compared to something like Berliner Weisse, but it's starting to get noticeable.

Thanks for the input. I brewed it last week and will rack to secondary tomorrow. I've gone back and forth about putting half of it on 2-3 lbs of blackberries. I think I am going to do it to see if the wild blackberries add any tartness. They are definitely more tart to eat than store bought blackberries.

The beer today was just barely perceptible tartness. I did split the batch and put 2.5 gallons on 2.5 lbs of wild blackberries. I intended to heat the fruit to 170 and hold for 10 min but got distracted and heated to 193, so there will probably be extra haze in that half but it is already quite cloudy. Not sure if that is all from the wheat or if the yeast is still hanging out. This is the first time I've use Wyeast 1007 German Ale.

I'm going to order some lactic acid for bottling and will search the forums, but does anyone have experience with that? I'm looking for a pretty tart beer.

Being a wheat, it should have a little haze. If the haze is an issue, throw in some gelatin and cold crash it for two days before bottling. Can't wait to hear how the blackberries come out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Finally found time to post an update. I have just finish moving half way across the counrty.

The plain gose cleared up nicely. I added 1/2 tsp of gelatin to the blackberry gose without cold crashing because I was in the middle of moving and didn't have the time or ability. It did clear a little bit but stayed cloudy. I did some taste testing with the lactic acid and ended up putting small aliquots of acid into each bottle at bottling. Below are my lactic acid taste test notes.

Plain Gose
No acid: Tastes like what it is: a "light wheat beer". Tastes watered down with very slight maltiness and barely perceptible tartness at the end.

0.025 ml lactic acid/oz beer: Very mild tartness at the end. Primary flavor is still malt.

0.05 ml/oz: very similar to the previous amount. Slight increase in tartness but most of the flavor is still malt.

0.075 ml/oz: Mild to moderate tartness and maltiness present throughout

0.1 ml/oz (1 ml per bottle): moderate tartness throughout that adds a crispness to the taste with malt flavor still present throughout

0.2 ml/oz (2 ml per bottle): Crisp tartness throughout that fades to malt flavor at the end

0.25 ml/oz (2.5 ml per bottle): Crisp tartness throughout that dominates. maltiness is still present but you have to concentrate to pick it up.

0.3 ml/oz (3 ml per bottle): Very sour. no malt is detectable

Blackberry gose

No lactic acid: mild blackberry flavor with slight blackberry aroma. Maltiness is still perceptible. Tartness is increased over the plain gose but is still only slightly present

0.2 ml/oz: Similar to the plain gose in tartness. Blackberry flavor is less perceptible.
0.25 ml/oz: Also similar to the plain gose in tartness.

I bottled the plain gose with 2ml per bottle. I was running low on lactic acid when I got to the blackberry gose. I put 1.5 ml per bottle in most and 2 ml per bottle in only a few. I prefer the 2 ml per bottle and probably could have gotten away with a little more. There is almost no head retention on the plain gose but I was surprised to see the head holds up well in the blackberry gose.

I will make this again but plan to do some small batches to dial things in some more. Here is a pic from today.

Gose.jpg

Thanks for posting your results! Interesting indeed. They look real nice! Real Gose is cloudy so well done. Experimentation at it's best!

Hi, could you please post the recipe you brewed at last? Is it exactly the one from BYO or did you make some changes -apart from lactic acid addition at bottling-?

Have you got some more thoughts to share? I'm about to follow your suggestions :)

Also, I was wondering if the tartness is present just at taste or in the aroma as well...

Hi, could you please post the recipe you brewed at last? Is it exactly the one from BYO or did you make some changes -apart from lactic acid addition at bottling-?

Have you got some more thoughts to share? I'm about to follow your suggestions :)

Also, I was wondering if the tartness is present just at taste or in the aroma as well...

Sorry I missed this post. Just randomly looked at the thread while prepping to do my next gose. I followed the recipe exactly as posted on the website. I haven't done anything else to be able to add any thoughts.

I only get tartness in flavor. Hope yours turned out well.

Thank you for your reply: that gives me the opportunity to say that I brewed a pseudo-gose (without lactobacillus, but with lactic acid) and I'm REALLY happy with it.

This is the recipe i brewed (BIAB, "almost" all grain):
O.G. 1.040
S.G. 1.011
ABV: 3.84%

43% Wheat Malt
30.1% German - Pilsner
21.5% German - Acidulated Malt
3.2% Flaked Wheat
2.2% Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition)

Hallertau Hersbrucker (Pellet, 2.1 A.A.) - Boil 30 min, 5.74 IBUs

Flameout:
Lime peel 0,42g/l
Coriander seeds, grounded 0,83 g/l
Sea salt 1 g/l

Fermented with Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Specialty Ale Yeast T-58

At bottling:
sea salt: 1.2 g/l (I choose not to put the whole amount right from the start in order to prevent yeast stressing)

80% lactic acid: 5.3 g/l

My notes: I wouldn't add more salt, I think 2.2 g/l is the maximum amount (to some people this is too salty).
Lime peel is almost not perceivable (next time I'll add some more)
This beer is pretty acidic, so if you are searching for something more delicate i would diminish both lactic acid and salt addictions to taste. But as it is, this is really refreshing

Oh, as a side note for someone like me who didn't have a clue:
adding lactic acid (at least in a beer in which coriander is so evident) will be perceivable just at taste, and not in the aroma.

Thank you for your reply: that gives me the opportunity to say that I brewed a pseudo-gose (without lactobacillus, but with lactic acid) and I'm REALLY happy with it.

This is the recipe i brewed (BIAB, "almost" all grain):
O.G. 1.040
S.G. 1.011
ABV: 3.84%

43% Wheat Malt
30.1% German - Pilsner
21.5% German - Acidulated Malt
3.2% Flaked Wheat
2.2% Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition)

Hallertau Hersbrucker (Pellet, 2.1 A.A.) - Boil 30 min, 5.74 IBUs

Flameout:
Lime peel 0,42g/l
Coriander seeds, grounded 0,83 g/l
Sea salt 1 g/l

Fermented with Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - Specialty Ale Yeast T-58

At bottling:
sea salt: 1.2 g/l (I choose not to put the whole amount right from the start in order to prevent yeast stressing)

80% lactic acid: 5.3 g/l

My notes: I wouldn't add more salt, I think 2.2 g/l is the maximum amount (to some people this is too salty).
Lime peel is almost not perceivable (next time I'll add some more)
This beer is pretty acidic, so if you are searching for something more delicate i would diminish both lactic acid and salt addictions to taste. But as it is, this is really refreshing

Oh, as a side note for someone like me who didn't have a clue:
adding lactic acid (at least in a beer in which coriander is so evident) will be perceivable just at taste, and not in the aroma.
hope the OP is till around and I can resurrect this a bit.
What was the mash temp on this?
I made a watermelon gose ( Green zebra clone) for my son, its not finished yet ,maybe this weekend I'll be bottling. But, I bought double the grains at time of ordering on purpose to make something else . I have beautiful blackberries growing in our yard, I've been picking them with another gose in mind. Saw your post and it got my attention.

I just finished off my first batch of Gose last week . I used no hops and did a mixed fermentation and no boil . Turned out good but not great at first but towards the end of the 2 kegs it started getting a lot better . I had wlp029 in it along with brett C and lacto Planterum. I’m going to brew it again as soon as wheat harvest rolls back around

hope the OP is till around and I can resurrect this a bit.
What was the mash temp on this?
I made a watermelon gose ( Green zebra clone) for my son, its not finished yet ,maybe this weekend I'll be bottling. But, I bought double the grains at time of ordering on purpose to make something else . I have beautiful blackberries growing in our yard, I've been picking them with another gose in mind. Saw your post and it got my attention.

Not sure if this is for me or Mateo's recipe, but my recipe is mashed at 149 F for 45 min, then add acid malt, rice hulls and 2/3 of the original mash water volume at 170 F for another 45 min. Then I batch sparge. I don't do a mash out and I have not yet done a true sour with Lacto, so not sure your system might be a little different. I've been really happy with getting my sour from lactic acid additions at bottling.

The last time I brewed this I split the batch and did half plain gose/half cherry gose. The cherry was done with cherry puree in secondary and primed with tart cherry juice. It was DELICIOUS, although I way over primed with the juice and had lots of gushers.

Not sure if this is for me or Mateo's recipe, but my recipe is mashed at 149 F for 45 min, then add acid malt, rice hulls and 2/3 of the original mash water volume at 170 F for another 45 min. Then I batch sparge. I don't do a mash out and I have not yet done a true sour with Lacto, so not sure your system might be a little different. I've been really happy with getting my sour from lactic acid additions at bottling.

The last time I brewed this I split the batch and did half plain gose/half cherry gose. The cherry was done with cherry puree in secondary and primed with tart cherry juice. It was DELICIOUS, although I way over primed with the juice and had lots of gushers.
reason I ask is that I used the same recipe.

Back