My first go at a RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beehemel

Reaction score
So here's my first attempt at a RIS recipe, looking for some feedback:

Russian Imperial Stout - AG - Russian Imperial Stout
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.100
FG: 1.023
ABV: 9.9%
Bitterness: 60.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 53 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 16.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 120 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 74% 60 L
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 60% 350 L
Molasses Sugar 8.000 oz No Yes 78% 80 L
Rice Hulls Adjunct 8.000 oz Yes No 0% 0 L
Roasted Barley Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 55% 300 L
Oats, Flaked Grain 1.500 lb Yes No 80% 1 L
Total grain: 22.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus 15.5% 1.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 52.3
Northern Brewer 9.0% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 5.0
Cascade 6.0% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 3.3

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP001 - California Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Conversion Infusion 4.036 gal 158.000 F 1.000 hr
Sparge 1 Infusion 3.001 gal 170.000 F 15.000 min
Sparge 2 Infusion 1.837 gal 170.000 F 15.000 min

I may remove the carapils, because I'm not sure it's going to be needed with everything else I've got in there to promote head retention/body. I may also reduce the total amount of crystal, maybe 8ox each of 60 and 120 instead of the 1lb each currently in it here. I've got a few recipes to brew, but I want to brew something next week and this one might end up being it.

Looks good, and I'd agree on cutting the cara/crystal malts, a big beer with oats will have plenty of body/sweetness. I might also reduce the molasses to 1/2 lb, especially if it is blackstrap. Otherwise looks delicious, good luck.

you aren't gonna get much head with a 10% beer. i agree with cutting back on the crystal as well. never used molasses.

good luck!

I made the modifications, removed the carapils, and cut the other crystals in half. I was planning on using Blackstrap molasses, so I also cut that down to 1/2 lb at Oldsock's suggestion. I upped the 2 row to make up the gravity points, kind of want to keep this one around 1.100 OG, and as written in the original post now, it's at 1.097, which is close enough

One thing I found when I did my RIS is that the Roasted Malts need to be up around 10-15% of the Grain Bill. I had about 8% in mine and it just didn't come out Roasty enough. I suppose that is pretty subjective, but it may be something for you to consider, depending on what kind of Roast character you are trying to achieve.:mug:

One thing I found when I did my RIS is that the Roasted Malts need to be up around 10-15% of the Grain Bill. I had about 8% in mine and it just didn't come out Roasty enough. I suppose that is pretty subjective, but it may be something for you to consider, depending on what kind of Roast character you are trying to achieve.:mug:

I can see what you're saying, but 2.5 lb of Roasted Barley puts me at 11%.That just seems like a lot (I know, big grain bill=more required to meet %). Anybody else have some input on this? I don't want the flavor to be super roasty, but the roast definitely needs to come through.

I can see what you're saying, but 2.5 lb of Roasted Barley puts me at 11%.That just seems like a lot (I know, big grain bill=more required to meet %). Anybody else have some input on this? I don't want the flavor to be super roasty, but the roast definitely needs to come through.

I include Chocolate Malt in that percentage, So I was thinking 1.5lbs RB & Keep the Chocolate at 1lb. That's what I'll be doing in mine, and it will put me at 14.5% Dark/Roasted Malts.

I include Chocolate Malt in that percentage, So I was thinking 1.5lbs RB & Keep the Chocolate at 1lb. That's what I'll be doing in mine, and it will put me at 14.5% Dark/Roasted Malts.

I feel better with 1.5 lb RB, which would put the total at 12%. I'll edit the OP with the new recipe. I think I'm going to start putting together the ingredients to brew this next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks for all the input!

I would actually flip flop the chocolate malt and roasted barley. I find too much roasted barley gives off an acrid ashy note, whereas chocolate gives a more pure roastiness. I had good success with splitting my roasted malts to about 2/3 chocolate to 1/3 roasted barley

I would actually flip flop the chocolate malt and roasted barley. I find too much roasted barley gives off an acrid ashy note, whereas chocolate gives a more pure roastiness. I had good success with splitting my roasted malts to about 2/3 chocolate to 1/3 roasted barley

I've heard Black Patent in large quantities can leave a taste of cigarette ash, but I've never heard that about Roasted Barley. Thanks for the heads up

Back