My First Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickout

Reaction score
So I've done a ton of reading on cider making in this forum. There seems to be a bunch of different ways to go about making it, so here's (my experiment) what I came up with.

Ingredients:
1 Gal. Mot's Apple Juice
1 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbs. Mulling Spices
Ale Yeast (washed from a previous brew)

Process:
Started yeast starter about 2 hours ahead of time. Allowed washed yeast to come up to room temp. Decanted beer off, added 1/2 cup of juice, give it a swirl and let it sit.
-The brew
Added brown sugar to pot, added just enough juice to cover the sugar. Brought mixture to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Add remainder of juice. Heat to 145 deg. Cut heat, add mulling spices in a spice ball and steep for 20 min. Remove spices and allow to cool to 70 deg.

Took hydro reading at 1.0666 (Satan's Cider?)
Tasted sample (Very tasty!)
Pitched yeast into 1 Gal. carboy, put mulled juice on top, gave it a good shake, attached stopper and airlock. About 5 hours later it was bubbling strong.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Satan's Cider... I like it. It plays on the original sin thing with the apple tree and the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

A little update:

Took a reading today of 1.0107, so that puts me at about 8% ABV. The taste wasn't too bad either.

I'm going to cold crash it to get the yeast to drop out then transfer it to a secondary.

Back