My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharp21

Reaction score
Having just finished a batch of cyser, I saw a beer kit at the grocery store & figured "why not?"
Nothing too complicated I just followed the directions, but am wondering if I had the mix too cool when I sprinkled the yeast, as its now morning & there is no action!
Also, a question on racking:
I made it up in a brewing bucket. Should I rack it into a carboy after the initial 10 days or so? Or should I start it straight in the carboy?
Cheers!
S.

Some times it takes a couple days to start seeing signs of fermenting. You dont need a carboy at all. Buckets work just fine.

what is the ambient temp like where you are? and what is the temp of the mix? Just be patient with your first brew.. if you followed the kits instructions you should be right

Yup, wait a minimum of three days until you even start to get worried...and even then don't worry too much. Bubbles and foam tell you nothing about how the fermentation is going. Spend 15 bucks on a hydrometer and that will tell you if your beer is fermenting or not.

How cool was the "mix" (which we call wort)? As long as it wasn't ice cold, you are just fine. In fact, even if it WAS ice cold, you are 99% likely just fine.

Welcome to Obsession. Population, all of us.

I've just been dabbling so far, not taking SG or anything. But I think it's time to get serious!
The temp when I sprinkled the yeast was cooler than Luke warm... We keep the house at about 63deg and it's in the basement so probably a bit cooler.
How many bottles will it take to bottle up a 5 gallon batch?
S.

I've just been dabbling so far, not taking SG or anything. But I think it's time to get serious!
The temp when I sprinkled the yeast was cooler than Luke warm... We keep the house at about 63deg and it's in the basement so probably a bit cooler.
How many bottles will it take to bottle up a 5 gallon batch?
S.

Bah, you're fine......

5 gallons is about 48-52 12 oz bottles.

Back