My first brew, suggestions needed on one point.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kremlock

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience on my first brew with you all. I made http://tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/410 yesterday. I actually did start with a 3.5 gal boil as my pot could handle it and figured that i would benefit from more water in contact with the grains steeping and the hops boiling (not sure if that was a mistake or a positive choice)

I hydrated and proofed 1 package of Safale US-05 in a cup of pre-boiled water mixed with 1 tsp of extract. That turned out nice when I pitched at 72F.

My chill took 25 minutes in a tub full of Ice. I discovered that if you move the ice around in the tub the wort chills out faster.

So here is where I got stunned! I had boiled 3 gal of water prior to everything to top off in my fermentor so that I could could get to 5.5 Gal as the recipe suggested.

That is where my surprise happened. I topped off and hit the 4.5 gal mark! what? So this means I lost a total 2 gal during the steep, and the boil. I could not believe it. Well I was 45 min late to a super we where going to so I did not have the time to prepare enough water to top off at this time.

So I pitched at 72F and hoped for the best and the OG was 1.062

This morning I took at look at is, what a beautiful and creamy krausen on top. Oh and you can smell the hops...NICE!

Would anyone suggest adding more water to bring the volume to 5.5 gal or just leave as is?

Lessons learned:

1. Start in the morning and do no commit to plans as this takes some time
2. Boil more water then you need for when you top off
3. Hops smell wonderful
4. THIS IS FUN!

Aside from your four suggestions I would add a fifth: Learn your equipment! The rate of evaporation can vary significantly from pot to pot depending on the surface area, volume, and rigor of boil. If you find that your pot consistently evaporates 2G of water per boil then you'll know to compensate for that.
Also, double check your measurement method: How did you figure what amount of water you have in the pot?
Finally, remember that boiling water (wort) will shrink 4% when cooled. You never have quite as much hot wort as you think you do..

I would not suggest adding more water. Just leave as is and accept fewer bottles of stronger beer. Adding water post-fermentation can be a problem.

Also: you can use bottled water to top off, and lots of people just use straight tap water and live to tell about it.

Aside from your four suggestions I would add a fifth: Learn your equipment! The rate of evaporation can vary significantly from pot to pot depending on the surface area, volume, and rigor of boil. If you find that your pot consistently evaporates 2G of water per boil then you'll know to compensate for that.
Also, double check your measurement method: How did you figure what amount of water you have in the pot?
Finally, remember that boiling water (wort) will shrink 4% when cooled. You never have quite as much hot wort as you think you do..

I have 2 bottles of 1 gallon. One is a US gallon and the other is a UK gallon. So I measure my water depending on the recipe I follow by filling them up and adding them to my pot for the boil.

I would not suggest adding more water. Just leave as is and accept fewer bottles of stronger beer. Adding water post-fermentation can be a problem.

Also: you can use bottled water to top off, and lots of people just use straight tap water and live to tell about it.

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I keep a few gallons of bottles water on hand in case. Lesson learned.

How long did you boil the top off water? You should only need to boil that for a couple of minutes, so loss on that should be negligable.

Back