my first brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
well i have very few pics of my brew day (American Hefe) since i was trying to make sure i didnt screw anything up but here are a couple of teasers of my messy garage and me cooling my brew using my homemade CF chiller. Turned out great, took it down to ~70-75° which was perfect, although i have not got the "mass foam and blow off" i hear about with hefes... i did get a nice layer about 2" thick but no blow off tube required.

I think i may have read my hydrometer wrong cause my OG seemed way off, and now with what appears to be weak fermentation (at least from what i was told would happen) im just hoping this turns out decent.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Looks like it will be beer.:mug:
Is it just me, or does something look wrong with that cfc?

i dont think so, beer in the top out the bottom, and then water in the bottom out the top of the outer jacket.... The exit of the beer it on the bottom basically just below where my left shoe is in the second pic. If there is something wrong it must not be too wrong cause it sure worked great. LOL

Here is the link to the build of my CFC
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/got-my-counter-flow-finished-80940/

Awesome! Looks like you did a good job. The strength of fermentation is a poor indicator of OG so don't worry about it. You may consider wrapping a towel or something around your fermentor if you are going to fill it outside in the sun. Even a few minutes and you can get litghtstruck beer.

Joe

Back