My First Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first bottle bomb tonight. Watching a little football and heard a pop. I first thought was the cat knocked something over so at the commercial break I went to investigate and could faintly smell beer. Check my batch of blonde ale on top of cabinets in the kitchen, they were all fine then I checked my batch of coffee stout on top of fridge that bottled a week ago. Most of them are 22oz but I have 4 12 oz bottles and one of them blew out the side. I bottled carb to about 2 volumes and checked my FG before I bottled. Opened up another bottle and it had decent carb but nothing crazy. Chalking it up to a bad bottle but moved them all to garage just in case.

Storing bottles in covered plastic storage tubs can minimize collateral damage in the case of bottle bombs. I've been lucky so far, but I'll be ready if it happens.

Brew on :mug:

Ive never had a bottle bomb (knock on wood) but just in case I save the cases of the bottles and put them all back in the cases for safe keeping and minimal destruction in case I get one to go pop :)

Storing bottles in covered plastic storage tubs can minimize collateral damage in the case of bottle bombs. I've been lucky so far, but I'll be ready if it happens.

Doing a rubbermaid tote has been something I was toying with getting, now I will.. plus only use 22oz bombers.

I do the same. Home Depot has dark grey plastic containers with the attached lids that open in the middle (can't remember what they are called) for $7 or $8. Two of them will easily hold a full batch.

:mug:
-J-

Doing a rubbermaid tote has been something I was toying with getting, now I will.. plus only use 22oz bombers.

I had 2 bombers explode on me this summer. First one was in the cellar. Second one happened 30 seconds after my neighbor put it in his refrigerator. So I immediately stocked up on PET bottles and am not looking back. Injuring oneself is bad enough but maiming one's neighbor is worse--------not to mention a potential lawsuit.

Back