My first batch ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emontag

Reaction score
M brewing my first batch using the True Brew Maestro Series India Pale Ale Kit. After following the directions as closely as I could, it's been in the primary for 1 week. At the start the OG was 1.051 which is exactly what the directions said. Today the reading was 1.02. It looks good, smells good, and tastes OK.

The instructions say the FG should be 1.012 - 1.014 so it has a way to go. If I just followed the directions I'd be bottling now because they say wait a week. But after reading these forums, I knew that taking readings is the only way to know when the beer is done.

It seems to me that this kit's directions are a bit lacking because it doesn't say you should take gravity readings and that it should be done brewing in a week. Does anyone have experience with this kit?

I use readinag to measure if a beer is done. Kits very basic instructions are never the go all to for answers. It will take time and lots of practice/ patients to get things right. As for your question take a reading after a week wait 2 days and take another. Don't do it every day you don't want to have an infection. Do this repeatedly untill its the same and your beer is done. Just remember don't ever throw the sample back in.

Kit directions often misadvise you to bottle to early. It's possible they do this because they know beginners tend to want to drink their beer fast, and the kit manufacturer can sell more kits if you bottle too quickly.

Give it another couple of weeks. You'll get noticeably better beer.

Just told a REAL good buddy of mine this same thing a couple of weeks ago. He likes beer and tried a Mr. Beer kit and HATED IT! I told him to NOT DUMP the yucky beer and let it sit. Ferment 3+ weeks and let rest in bottles 3+ weeks and his ber would be much better.

This is the exact kit I used I mean same kit and same beer. I fermented for about two weeks then went to secondary. I bottled a few today, probably big mistake not bottling all, waiting to get a few cases of bottles but I tried one with dinner and it tastes awesome! I had a little carbonation so I'm guessing as it sits longer it would carbonate more.

Josh990311 said:
This is the exact kit I used I mean same kit and same beer. I fermented for about two weeks then went to secondary. I bottled a few today, probably big mistake not bottling all, waiting to get a few cases of bottles but I tried one with dinner and it tastes awesome! I had a little carbonation so I'm guessing as it sits longer it would carbonate more.

What beer brewing kit do you have? I'm undecided on which one to buy.

brew_chew said:
What beer brewing kit do you have? I'm undecided on which one to buy.

True Brew Maestro Series India Pale Ale Kit. I transferred it to a carboy from the bucket yesterday after 3 weeks. It didn't reach the FG indicated in the instructions but it tastes pretty good. I think I'll give it a week in the secondary and then bottle on Sunday.

Brewing is a game of patience. The yeast have their own time table that usually doesn't co-inside with yours. Give it two or three weeks to finish fermenting & take a hydrometer reading. Wait till the third day & check it again. If the numbers are the same,it's done. Giving it 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty will give better beer.

Latest posts

Back