My First Attempt at Cloning a Scrawny Crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
I had asked about cloning in a thread that @kgranger had started. Here is my attempt step by step in case anyone would care, ha.
1st I filled a clear 9 oz cup(with drain holes) with perlite, wet it down, and bored a hole.
20220604_134209.jpg

Then I took my cutting. I removed a set of leaves with scissors. I then scraped the stem and node with a sharp knife to rough it up a bit.
20220604_135602.jpg

And here she is all watered in. The coffee cup will keep it stable and if I have to go away, I can put a little water in there that will get wicked up.
20220604_141434.jpg

I took this cutting from the 3rd bine that came up. Some friends want cuttings and I want redundancy so I plan to take as many cuttings as this bine will give. Now if my Centennial would throw some more shoots !
20220604_134917.jpg

Please post rooting updates! Been considering doing some cloning in order to replace a few plants that were killed over winter by some sort of rodent, so I'd love to see how this goes!

My Centennial is finally making some shoots. They are low on the only bine. I'll be trying to clone this one very soon...
20220609_185217.jpg

After 9 days the Crystal still looks good. The Centennial gave up her first cutting yesterday. Some kind of bug had been munching on her. The leaf on the left has damage...
20220612_151509.jpg

Spider mites got to them so I thought I would check for roots since I had to trash them. As you can see she was making roots. I have more started. I posted this so @SkipperHops could see the result. Cheers guys.

Back