My first All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakee117

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of all grain yesterday. I have the recipe below ( I tried to keep it simple ). What is the easiest way to increase efficiency? also what do you recommend for initial strike temp & volume? Sparge volume? I was shooting for 5.5 gallons and essentially hit it for 5 gal into the fermenter at the end of the boil and hop removal.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.67 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0:rockin: :tank: SRM) Grain 2.08 %
0.90 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.9 IBU - Bittering
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - 10 min out
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - At flame out
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Safale #US American - 05) Yeast-Ale

I was shooting for 5.5 gallons and essentially hit it for 5 gal into the fermenter at the end of the boil and hop removal.

You can top up your boil at 15 minutes from flameout. I do this all the time. Efficiancy is determined by how well the crush was done (were all grains well open) and how well you're sparging the grains. Sparge until 1.010 gravity or until you hit 6.5 gallons (or boil volume) ie: whichever occurs first. Stir grains before each vorlauf. Vorlaufing is the act of running a small amount of the liquid from your grains to set the grain bed to give you clear beer. Lautering is the act of draining the sparge water from the grains to carry away the sweet liquid (the wort).

I use a technique called Batch Sparging. I find it easier and more effective than a technique called Fly Sparging. Fly Sparging involves slowly adding water to the top of your tun and slowly draining it from the bottom. It usually takes about 5 minutes per gallon to do this process (around an hour for a 12 gallon batch).

With Batch Sparging, you add as much of the sparge water to your tun as it will hold, then stir up the grains very well. Wait 8-10 minutes. Vorlauf, then drain, AS FAST AS YOUR TUN WILL ALLOW, into your brew kettle.

my only comment is that when I batch sparge, I don't drain as fast as possible. I open my valve about 60-70%. its still a lot faster than a fly sparge, but if I go 100% there runnings aren't "clear".

it really depends on your MLT. mines the 10gal rubber maid one posted in the DIY section. perhaps my LHBS over crushes a little, or my SS braid is a little too 'loose'.

I still get it drained in well under 10 minutes...not 45-60mins which is what seems to be a good ballpark for fly sparging.

Back