My first all-grain homebrew: "Dark stuff"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanK

Reaction score
Hello! Im all new to the forums. I am from S.A. specifically from Venezuela. here we drink a lot of golden fully hopped pilsners (because of the heat) and dark beers are not something you can find in your average store or homebrewer (Marzens from time to time as a special edition).

So one good day I decided to make my own, dark lager.

Used Pilsner grains as a base, with some Crystal and Chocolate.

Perle hops for bittering, but not too much since I was interested in a more malty, less hoppy character.

Brewing with Saflager S-23... At 20°C! i know, "thats a lot of temperature for a Lager!" but due to a temporary lack of refrigerator (due to an entirely Murphyan failure happening right away as I was finishing boiling my must) I had to ferment at room temperature, in the coolest room I could find in my house.

Primary happened quickly. Took almost 12 hours to take off, had a Krauzen for almost a couple of days which then sunk entirely to the bottom of my carboy and kept fermenting. Airlock activity went for full 4 days. I racked to secondary (today) about 8 days later. There was a nice yeast cake at the bottom.

About smell: first day It smelled funky, like non-good fermenting bread and too many hops. At the fourth day, it was smelling heavily "beer like". Today at racking to secondary, Strong beer smell with a lot of malty, roasted notes (my mouth is watering as I write this). Hops smell mellowed out (taking away all floral notes) but left a nice hint of its presence.

About taste: No Dyacetil taste. No SO2 smell during fermentation at all! So far (tasting when racking to lagering vessels) it aquired a mildly bitter, malty, slightly roasted flavor, feels fresh and velvet-like on the mouth (dont know how else to describe it).

I decided to do a split-batch to experimentate. Since I brewed about 13 lts, I decided to bulk-lager about 7lts in a carboy to then do bottle conditioning; the other 6 lts I decided to bottle them, carbonate them in bottle (mixed in priming solution, then bottled) and then will proceed to lager in bottles. Having fixed the refrigerator already, lagering will take place at 12°C constant temperature.

Here is my Lager in primary. Carboy is an old water carboy. Very thick glass, an absolute beauty.

dlg1.jpg

Here, racking to Lagering vessels.

dlg2.jpg

Yes, I know I will take fire on this one. I have to lager part of the batch in a plastic container. Couldn't find a suitable small glass carboy anywhere around.

dlg3.jpg

The color (here seems very clear. Darker when in bulk)

dlg4.jpg

The ones I bottled first to condition, then lager. (Sorry for the crappy image quality on this one)

dlg5.jpg

Looks good. Thanks for sharing the images. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. Particularly, I'm interested to learn what happens to the batch at 20C.

Looks good. Thanks for sharing the images. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. Particularly, I'm interested to learn what happens to the batch at 20C.

Well I was afraid mainly on a lot of Diacetyl and off flavors and smells by SO2, but nothing happened. The place were the brew took place was in total darkness, at 20-21 °C maximum maybe dropping at 19°C at night.

I did the fermentation just at the right time since our hot season is kicking in and temperatures are rising to a nice and warm 35°C daily! My fermentation place still keeps cool but not for long.

Fermentation was quite quick, nevertheless. My must was quite sweet when I trasnfered it from my lauter tun to my boiling tun, and now most of the sweetness is gone (I couldn't appreciate any, but It wasn't harsh either.)

I heard bad stuff on Saflager S-23 but It behaved good.

Now, in a month I'll update on lagering!

So, after three weeks in bottle conditioning (half of the batch is on bottle conditioning and then going to lager, other half is lagering first and then I am going to bottle condition it, to see how it goes) I decided to pop one open.

Curiosity was killing me so I decided before I lager them, I was going to uncork one of the bottles in order to see if carbonation took place, and to give it a taste.

Bingo! The cork went off in a loud champagne like sound. Beer has not too much head but seems to be well carbonated, enough at least to tickle your mouth and to totally change the flavour experience from the first time I tasted it flat. A whole new world!

Now they are going into lagering and in a couple of days the batch that is already lagering is going to be bottled. I'll keep you posted

dlg6.jpg

Well, here is my Dark Skinned beauty. It went along well! Didn't clarify as much as I wanted to, but taste is great. Maybe a touch more of Perle next time.

Prost!

dlg6.jpg

Back