My first AG recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Guy

Reaction score
I am doing an Old Ale 19A and wanted some encouragement on it.

Does this look good? Any tips for this virgin AG brewer?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.099 SG
Estimated FG: 1.023 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.5 IBU
Estimated ABV: 9.96%

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.95 %
1.00 lb Lyle's Golden Syrup [Boil for 10 min] Extract 13.16 %
0.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
0.20 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
0.20 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
0.55 oz Northern Brewer [7.80 %] (60 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.8 IBU
0.17 oz Willamette [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.17 oz Willamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

[ I started with the BYO Gale’s Prize Old Ale Clone. I just tweaked it a tad. I shrunk it, matched the IBU/SG ratio and subbed some hops & grains I have on hand]

I won't comment on the recipe because I don't brew Old Ale's. However, as far as tips are concerned...being this is your first AG I would not do anything extreme as right now you want to focus on process and dialing your system in. This is where I would recommend using a known recipe for something like a best bitter or ESB (keeping it to the Brit styles) or anything else in the 1.050 realm. Then when you get a couple AG batches under your belt and know what kind of efficiency you are getting and are comfortable with the process then I would visit this recipe.

The only way that recipe made it to Old Ale levels was due to the small size (2.25 gallons)... For another, it's [technically] not an all grain recipe either (you added 1# of extract to it, making it a partial mash).

I would highly recommend reducing how many hops you're going to add, and stick with UK hops (dump the US and German hops). Increasing Challenger to 1 ounce, and the EKG to .5 ounce (10 minute boil) gives you 45.9 IBU. That's right within the range for an Old Ale (almost dead center of the 30-60 range).

Drop the malt extract from the recipe, and you now have an actual AG recipe... That will increase the IBU's to 51.4 though, so keep that in mind. I would also go to a full ounce level on the specialty grains. Either go down to an even 3 ounces, or up to 4... You're calling out 3.2 ounces of grain (going to make your LHBS mad at you that way)... Going to 4 ounces of each, dropping the extract, gives an OG (assuming 75% efficiency) of 1.085. If you're closer to 70% efficiency, you're still in the range at 1.079...

Are you going to use an actual mash tun for this? How are you planning to sparge? Have you looked at the BIAB method?

I would go for a couple of more modest brews before diving into a big Old Ale as well... Or at least be sure of the processes and how you'll be brewing all grain...

For me, the first all grain recipe didn't come out as planned due to processes I thought would work, but didn't (a rectangular cooler converted to a mash tun, with the BIAB method didn't do the job)... I'm going to remove the cooler/mash tun from the mix for now, and just brew in the pots (32 and 20 quart sizes)... I had better results that way with my PM brew.

I 100% agree that you should do something much smaller for your first AG. Most people have pretty bad efficiency for their first AG because they haven't gotten to know their system. Combine that with a big grain bill and you're setting yourself up for failure. Nothing is more frustrating than not hitting your target OG, and it's even more disheartening when it's a big beer.

Whatever you do, do not forget to take a preboil gravity reading. This is one of the most important data points you can take during a brew session - it lets you know if you need to add more DME to hit your numbers.

Also make sure you accurately measure how much wort you have pre-boil... That will really tell you how long you need to boil to hit your volume to go into the fermenter... I would also highly recommend using a chiller for the wort (love my IC) so that you have a rapid cool-down to pitching temperature. My first couple of brews (extracts) I had to use the ice, and slush method to get to the pitching temperature range... Really sucked with how long that can take. Used my DIY IC last weekend, and hit temps in under 15 minutes. I can't see using any other cooling method moving forward...

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I picked up 1# of each of the Specialty grains and 7# of Maris Otter. I think I will skip the Lyle’s Syrup (Which BTW is inverted sugar not extract.) and split the grains I got yesterday. Just do two batches with a lower OG. It still fits in the style and I adjusted the Hops. I like sweet Old Ales. I did raise the IBUs a tad to balance the added Honey malt. (I do like Beer Smith!!!)

Recipe: My AG Old Ale (Twice)
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 16.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.0 IBU
Estimated ABV: 6.13%

Ingredients:
------------
3.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.27 oz Northern Brewer [7.80 %] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
0.28 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
0.10 oz Willamette [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.10 oz Willamette [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
(Reuse the yeast cake on batch #2.)

Oh and Golddiggie, I like a smooth hop character in my brews. My latest Brown Ale has 5 hops spread out like this and it is great. Not over hoppy, just smooth and subtle.

I'm all for smooth hop character, which is why I don't care for most IPA's (some Pub Pale Ale's are good though)... I tend to use just two hops in my recipe's, one for bittering and then one for flavor/aroma. I'm using UK hops right now, so Target for bittering (smells really good too) and Fuggles (or EKG) for aroma/flavor. I also have some Northdown hops on hand (picked up 8 oz of each with my last purchase, online)...

I would just say that with this being a UK style brew, I don't think German hops would be as good a choice in it. I also don't think you'll notice any difference if you increased a single hop for the 60 minute boil time, going with all Challenger there. You can also substitute EKG for Willamette hops... Basically, getting all UK based hops for the UK style brew...

Since you're set to do two batches anyway, why not go with one as it stands, and the second with just the two hops (listed above)? I would also go lower on the specialty grains (4 ounces would be more than enough on a half batch) and increase the MO to an even 4 (or 5) pounds. As the specialty grain levels stand, I think they will overpower everything else, including most of your hops.

Until you get the AG process down pat, and your hardware dialed-in, I think a KISS approach is wiser. I would also go with the BIAB method and use hop bags too. That will keep the trub to a minimum, and make things far easier on you...

Your recipe shows a 60 minute boil with a boil size of 2.43 gallons and a batch size of 2.25 gallons. I think your boil off is going to be more than .18 gallons in an hour.

way too much crystal on the new recipe. its gunna be cloyingly sweet @20%. id half it, especially if you're gunna age it. if you're not gunna age this, id bump up the late hops and just call it an ESB since IMO that's closer to what it looks like.

Your recipe shows a 60 minute boil with a boil size of 2.43 gallons and a batch size of 2.25 gallons. I think your boil off is going to be more than .18 gallons in an hour.
Blame Beer Smith, not me.

I am using a 3 gallon pot, so what do you figure for a pre-boil volume?

…
I think a KISS approach is wiser.
LOL… Compared to some extract brews I have done this is simple to me.

How does this look?

Recipe: My AG Old Ale 2.0
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated ABV: 6.17%
Estimated Color: 13.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.1 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.16 %
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.61 %
0.33 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.61 %
0.33 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.61 %
0.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 26.8 IBU
0.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU

I’ll find another use for the other 3#s of MO later. Maybe a Brown Ale or IPA.

Blame Beer Smith, not me.

I am using a 3 gallon pot, so what do you figure for a pre-boil volume?

Beer Smith pegs this one (with a 60 minute boil) as needing 2.58 gallons pre-boil... With it being that close to the max you pot can take, better to use a 16 quart pot for it... Especially considering you'll get foaming action when you add the hops, you could have foam-over (makes a nasty mess of things)...

If you have a 20 quart pot, you might be able to do a single step infusion/mash (total amount of water to get your pre-boil level)...

If you're only going to make one batch, without knowing your efficiency, I would use 5 pounds of MO with the rest of the grains. Puts you just a gnat's nut hair under 6 pounds total... You should be able to mash that with 1.5 quarts per pound in the mash, then sparge with the rest to get your pre-boil volume. Sparge volume would be about 1 gallon (B.S. puts it at 1.05 gallons)... You should be able to fit that into the 12 quart pot you have (just)...

The multiple hop adds, and times, adds more complexity to the recipe. IMO, it's unnecessary. Especially when you could easily substitute all the aroma/flavor hops with EKG (even if you want two different times on that) and you could just use one bittering hop... Unless you're scraping together the dust from the hop bags you have and that's all you have left. :drunk:

I have an aluminum 3 gallon pot to boil in and I will be using a heavy bottom 2 gallon SS pot to do the mash in. I figure it should hold the temps steady easier.

Oh and I had played with Beer Smith and it was my bad. 2.58 it is.

I'll add the 0.50oz of bittering hop just before the boil starts and sit next to the pot for the whole time.

Since I'll only be adding 0.20oz of hops each time after that, I think I can control what is left after 45 minutes of boiling. I hope.

Latest posts

Back