my first AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory41287

Reaction score
so i brewed my first all grain batch yeasterday. i didn't have a pot bigger than 22 qt so i didnt get a full 5 gallons but no biggy to me. just kinda through this recipe together.

10 lbs 2-row pale malt
2 lbs munich
1/2 honey malt
1oz cascade 7.4% 60mins pellets
notty ale yeast

treated 6 gallons of tap water with half a campden tablet ,heated 3 gallons of mash water to 175* and mashed for 60mins in a colemen cooler mash tun, i also used some 5.2 ph buffer. drained first runnings(forgot to volorf(sp?)) then sparged with 3 gallons of 180* water for 10 mins and drained. ended up with probably a little less than 5 gallons pre-boil. then boiled 1oz cascade for 60 mins. cooled in cold water bath(i need a wort chiller badly) pitched notty when wort was around 70*. i think the combination of not volorfing the first runnings and the fact i used pellet hops gave me alot of trub, i think i will use whole hops from now on.

this was kinda a last minute brew day, figured i already had the mash tun i would just have to boil less due to only having a 22qt pot. i got an outdoor burner coming from home depot and i foresee a 40qt pot in my future, oh and a wort chiller.

anyways what do you guys think?

I made one not unlike this one in late winter this year. My only regret was not adding enough hops. It is a good beer, but I just wish there was a little more bitterness, a little more aroma, and a little more hop flavor.

Still a good brew though! Good luck!

well thank you for your input, i just kinda through this together as a test run for my brew gear. nice to see someone els has made something close to it, at least i'm not too far off with anything. i do have some high hope for this brew, it already smells great. if you used honey malt how much of it comes through? since i have started brewing i have always thought a nice light, malty, honey(sweet) brew would be great. hopefully i hit this one on the head. again, thank you for the input.

Back