My first AG and why I need a mash tun.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_g

Reaction score
I decided to try my first all grain batch. I was going to do a partial mash, but then I figured I could save about $5 if I made it all grain. I've got two basic problems. First, I don't have a pot large enough for a full boil. Second, I don't have a mash tun. I figured what I'd do is several stove top partial mashes, boil down the water and add them separately to the fermentor. So I did the first mash last night, and I got tired of waiting for the water to boil down. When my alarm went off I got up and turned on the stove again and laid back down. I woke up to the sound of the smoke alarm going off. My smaller pot ran out of water. Burned wort on the bottom. House filled with smoke.

Anyway, I think I'm going to head off to Walmart and do some mash tun shopping.

wow. funny how you tried to save five bucks and now you're spending much more...:D

I did my first all grain in the oven and on the stove w/ every large pot I had. However, I only made about 3 gallons. The whole process was a learning experience, to say the least.

Yeah...buying a cooler and fittings isn't a bad investment. Heck, even a turkey fryer is pretty small potatos compared to what some HBT members spend on this hobby :drunk:

wow. funny how you tried to save five bucks and now you're spending much more...:D

I did my first all grain in the oven and on the stove w/ every large pot I had. However, I only made about 3 gallons. The whole process was a learning experience, to say the least.

My life story, every time I try to save money, I end up spending more.

Check Home Depot for 10 gallon orange coolers. I've found them on sale there several times for under $40.

Yeah...buying a cooler and fittings isn't a bad investment. Heck, even a turkey fryer is pretty small potatos compared to what some HBT members spend on this hobby :drunk:

Please don't say that. I want to keep my delusion that home brewing is cheaper. :D

Forget the round coolers, get a rectangular. You get more for the money. You can covert it using the Cheap'n'Easy method. dennybrew

The cheap Igloo rectangular cooler I bought wouldn't hold the mash temps. I've had better luck with the round ones. Your mileage may vary.

The cheap Igloo rectangular cooler I bought wouldn't hold the mash temps. I've had better luck with the round ones. Your mileage may vary.

Indeed it does. I've used the same $14 Rubbermaid cooler for 11 years and 350 batches and I never lose more than 1F. In addition, because the opening is larger than a round cooler, it's easier to get grains into it and stirred.

I bought a 5 gal rubbermaid for $21 at Menards. I'm going to use it as is for today. I may add fittings later.

What I like about the round ones is it's much easier to get a false bottom in them. With my experience, I can't live without my false bottom!:D

What I like about the round ones is it's much easier to get a false bottom in them. With my experience, I can't live without my false bottom!:D

Admittedly, you can't really use a false bottom with a rectangular cooler. Personally, I consider that an advantage! :)

Admittedly, you can't really use a false bottom with a rectangular cooler. Personally, I consider that an advantage! :)

I'm trying to figure out how that's an advantage..challange maybe..A: I seem to be able to get a pretty fine crush with no stuck sparges and B: it is a very easy play on words about "false" bottom girls :D:D

Ah, a "rectangular vs. cylindrical" thread..........and the games are well begun. Reminds me of Jean Shepherd, and his description of his father being an Oldsmobile fanatic. On it goes, when many homebrewers seem to be making fine beer with coolers of all shapes. I'm brewing my first AG Monday, and I settled on the 10 gal. Rubbermaid cylindrical from HD. Had I purchased a Coleman Extreme or other rectangular cooler, I have every reason to believe the resulting beer would be quite drinkable as well.

It's more of a batch sparge vs. fly sparge. The traditional fly sparge setup is cylindrical with false bottom. The Denny batch sparge uses a cheap braid in ANY cooler and performance is not affected by grain bed depth. Rectangular cooler with braid is the cheapest possible setup and IT WORKS.

Back