My First "2-week" test failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
I usually check my bottles at the 2-week mark to make sure everything is coming along. For my first 2 brews, they were actually well carbonated and tasted fine at 2-weeks.

My 3rd batch, an ESB, seems to have missed the mark on carbonation and taste at the 2 week mark. I thought ESB's were supposed to be able to be drank "young" but these aren't drinkable yet. I wish I could pinpoint what the underlying taste was, but there was something off about the taste also. I know my first 2-3 bottles were oxidized, but I don't know what to look for as far as "taste" for the oxidized bottles.

Now, being an ESB, I did use less priming sugar than I have in the past, would that create a longer "carb" time than normal, since it won't be heavily carbed anyway?

I'll be checking another one at the 3-week mark, but I'm starting to get the dreaded "worries." Something I'm not accustomed to with homebrewing.

An oxidized taste should be more or less like wet cardboard.

The amount of priming sugar won't really dictate carb time so much since the yest will just eat what's available to create CO2 and then stop. I'd still give it another week or so, but unless you're conditioning at really low temps an ESB should be pretty drinkable at the 3-4 week mark provided the rest of your brewing procedures were followed properly.

An oxidized taste should be more or less like wet cardboard.

The amount of priming sugar won't really dictate carb time so much since the yest will just eat what's available to create CO2 and then stop. I'd still give it another week or so, but unless you're conditioning at really low temps an ESB should be pretty drinkable at the 3-4 week mark provided the rest of your brewing procedures were followed properly.

My concern with this batch was that I threw it into secondary because we were awaiting the birth of our new son. It sat in secondary about a week longer than I wanted it to, and then bottled after our son was born. I'm hoping that the extra time in the secondary didn't drop the yeast out of suspension to adequately carb the bottles. I guess we'll see in another week.

Now, being an ESB, I did use less priming sugar than I have in the past, would that create a longer "carb" time than normal, since it won't be heavily carbed anyway?

Possibly. I still woulnd't worry too much yet. Was there any carb at all or completely flat? Is the beer being stored at a relatively warm temp (65-70 degrees) or colder?

Either way, dont give up on the brew yet. it will probably come around.

My concern with this batch was that I threw it into secondary because we were awaiting the birth of our new son. It sat in secondary about a week longer than I wanted it to, and then bottled after our son was born. I'm hoping that the extra time in the secondary didn't drop the yeast out of suspension to adequately carb the bottles. I guess we'll see in another week.

There should still be viable yeast in there somewhere :). Give it more time...

At two weeks in the bottle, it is way too early to start to worry. Relax, etc. Enjoy the porter while you anticipate the esb!

The yeast will be there for you. Two weeks is the MINIMUM average time for decent carbonation. You might have less yeast than normal since it flocced out in secondary, so that will take a little longer, too. Read Revvy's "Time Heals All Beers" thread and RDWHAHB!

Just an update after 3-weeks in the bottle. Still no "head" when poured, but there are bubbles as you drink and swish the beer around.

The more disturbing issue, though, is the background taste from before is still present, and it is most certainly a "plastic" taste. I don't think it is from the tubing, but, for some reason, I decided to use my tap water for my initial 3-gallon boil, and then topped up with bottled water. Normally I use 100% bottled water.

Our tap water does have a chlorine taste to it, and, since I didn't pre-boil it, I have a sneaking suspicion that chlorine is causing the plastic taste.

Not sure if will eventually clear up, but I have a feeling this batch is going to be one I'm going to drink quickly and block it from memory!

Local tap water can play a part in how a beer will taste. A lot of people say that you should always use bottled water vs. tap. However, I use my tap water because I like the taste, and my brews haven't had any after taste that we a result of ingredients.

Yep! This is why I do FULL boils. A one hour, full boil will remove that chlorine taste from your water. Our municipal water supply is lousy with chlorine!!!!!

Are you saying that if I would've used a full boil, rather than 3-gallons, it would've made a difference? I thought the only way to get rid of the chlorine was to "pre" boil the water and then go ahead with brewing after that initial boil.

Back