My experience brewing with bread yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I lost my brewers yeast and had to use fast-acting bread yeast in a pinch. Here's my experience, maybe it'll help someone that finds themselves without good beer yeast.

I was brewing a small Saison featuring Pilsner, 2-row, table sugar, & a touch of crystal 40; Saaz hops. I brew small batches in 2 gal bucket fermenters, brewing approximately 1.66 gallon batches. I discovered I didn't have my brewers yeast while my wort was heating to a boil ... bread yeast here I come! I decided to add extra hops at 15 minutes to help mask any funky flavors from the bread yeast. Otherwise brewed/cooled normally.

Once to pitching temps I pitched a heaping tablespoon of fast acting dry bread yeast. Airlock activity began roughly 8 hours later. The fermentation went quite normally with no discernible off aromas. I fermented extra cold at 59-64 degrees hoping to suppress phenols/esters. I kept the fermenter 1 week at ferm temps, 1 week at room temp of 69-71, and 1 week in the 35 degree fridge; bottled.

Tried my first bottle last night after 7 days in the bottle, primed with carb tabs. Served very cold, appearance was quite clear with a very white thin head. Aroma was slightly grassy/grainy with bubblegum sweetness and somewhat accentuated hop character. Flavor was very bitter (I did add extra hops in a small batch making the gravity:bitterness ratio 1:1), very cleanly bittered as in the yeast really made the hop character prominent; a nice surprise. As the brew warmed the bubblegum aroma was evident in the flavor profile exceedingly similar to hefeweizen brewed at too high a temp. Otherwise the flavor had slight english fruity tones and was surprisingly clean. Mouthfeel was light, to the intended style. Overall impressions of the beer is it's something that is enjoyable and other than the bubblegum presence would be considered an excellent session beer, quaffable, lean, ballanced/shaded toward bitter.

My advice? If you're in a bind pitch more yeast than you think you'll need by a good bit, ferment cooler than you usually do for other ale yeast, and enjoy.

Thought I'd give this a final update as the beer has been bottled for almost 4 weeks and now is a finished product.

When I was tasting it earlier with the bottle conditioning fermentation still ongoing I was getting phenols of clove, banana, and hints of bubble gum; very weizen yeast like. Now that it is fully conditioned almost all of that character is gone. I and others have been amazed at how clean it is. I almost can't believe it. That said the bittering is clean, the hop character is not overly muted/semi-shines through. As it warms you get hints, just hints, of the weizen esters, drinks like a kolsch when colder. Overall just a nice enjoyable ale. What more could you ask for when facing a failed brew day. Salvation via bread yeast!

I tried bread yeast a couple times but I thought it made my beer taste rubbery. Not a desirable trait in beer to say the least.

Back