My entire basement smells like ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
Just did a 10 gallon batch of ginger peach wheat and used wyeast 3068.
Managed to hit an O.G. of 1.048 exactly.

After two days of fermentation my entire basement smells of fermentation (slight egg smell), which is weird because I have a 1200 sq foot basement and my fermentation room is isolated. Both buckets are sealed tight with an airlock.

I opened the lid to get a whoof and the fermentation leak almost burned my nose.

I've never had this much of a strong smell during a batch, has anyone else?

YUP. But not with 3068. I used an Irish Ale yeast in a Stout, and about 36 hours after pitching, I came home from work and the whole house had the rotten egg/sulfur smell. It was HORRIBLE in the room my fermenters are in. I opened the window and closed the door overnight to the room. The smell was still pretty bad but at least it was better confined to that room. Once fermentation slowed down it smelled better and my house was back to normal. This was last week sometime, took only about 3 days. I didn't open my fermenter to smell inside, it was definitely bad coming out of the airlock though.

i've fermented with 3068 very frequently in the past months and can attest to the estery/phenol smell of primary fermentation. it didn't really stink up the whole house, but i only did a 5 gallon batch. I think what your experiencing is not too uncommon for the strain

I sometimes have that with 3068. The first time I used it, my living room smelled like dog farts. Eww!!

yeast nutrient helps to eliminate that on ciders and such. embrace it lol

awesome.

all my readings were correct and my sanitization was good. didnt want to have two bad batches of this ginger peach wheat go bad.

Latest posts

Back