My dumb idea for splitting a batch of cream ale for fermentation…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cormano

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a 7.5 gallon batch of cream ale. I have only 5 and 2.5 gallon fermentors. My plan, since cream ales are often fermented by a mix of ale and lager yeast, is to ferment five gallons with one and 2.5 with the other, then mix them together at bottling time. I would probably try to do a couple bottles of each separately, too, just for fun.

Is this a dumb idea?

Not sure about the yeast blending, but I imagine it would work okay assuming both beers are fermented to completion. I did a split batch ESB using Dry English Ale and Burton Ale that I blended after fermentation. Turned out well. Although both of those were ale strains. You can always just pitch WL080 Cream Ale yeast blend and still ferment in separate containers.

Logistically, though, how big is your bottling bucket and are you going to be able to get a good consistent mix?

Back