My Double IPA turned out reddish and tastes like an American Barleywine, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I created what I thought would be a nice golden colored Double IPA and the SRM prediction in Brewersfriend sort of confirmed the color I was going for, however after brewing and bottle conditioning when I poured it into a glass, much to my surprise, it poured a reddish color like a barleywine. It also tastes kind of like Avery Hog Heaven (American Barleywine). I'm not complaining at all but i'm wondering what I may have done in my process to make this happen.

Malt/Grain Bill

12 lb Pilsen LME (added half at start of boil, half at 20 min left)
0.5 lb American - Victory (steeped 45 min)
0.5 lb United Kingdom - Crystal 50L (steeped 45 min)
.5 lb Cane Sugar (added with 10min of boil left)

Hops

1 oz Columbus Pellet Boil 60 min 43.9
1 oz Columbus Pellet Boil 30 min 33.74
2 oz Centennial Pellet Boil 0 min
2 oz Magnum Pellet Boil 0 min
2 oz Willamette Pellet Dry Hop 12 days
2 oz Centennial Pellet Dry Hop 12 days
2 oz Galena Pellet Dry Hop 12 days

Back when I used to brew using extracts, my beers always turned out darker then what I was expecting.

As far as the taste - what was your fermentation temp?

How old is the beer? Seems like a bottle conditioned DIPA that's been sitting around awhile could possibly morph into something barleywine-esque (taste-wise) as hop flavor/aroma fades. The color thing could be due to the extract, as mentioned above.

Hope you're still able to enjoy the beer either way.

Cheers.

When you say "tastes like a barleywine," do you mean sweet and syrupy? 12 lbs is a lot of extract, looks like it comes out to about 1.076 OG on that alone, and the victory and crystal are gonna add even more unfermentable body and sweetness as steeped (rather than mashed) grains. Replace a pound or two of extract with sugar (or honey or something like that) next time, it's 100% fermentable, and will thin and dry out some of that syrupy sweetness.

Back when I used to brew using extracts, my beers always turned out darker then what I was expecting.

As far as the taste - what was your fermentation temp?

I've done a lot of extract brews with the extra light pilsen LME and not had this color which is why i'm sort of perplexed.

I fermented it at 64 degrees and then ramped it up to 68 after fermentation was almost done. Then it was bottle conditioned for a few weeks at around 75.

When you say "tastes like a barleywine," do you mean sweet and syrupy? 12 lbs is a lot of extract, looks like it comes out to about 1.076 OG on that alone, and the victory and crystal are gonna add even more unfermentable body and sweetness as steeped (rather than mashed) grains. Replace a pound or two of extract with sugar (or honey or something like that) next time, it's 100% fermentable, and will thin and dry out some of that syrupy sweetness.

It's not syrupy sweet, but the malt is more present than in a typical DIPA. It tastes like an American Barleywine (hoppy but with some malt backbone).

I've done a lot of extract brews with the extra light pilsen LME and not had this color which is why i'm sort of perplexed.

I fermented it at 64 degrees and then ramped it up to 68 after fermentation was almost done. Then it was bottle conditioned for a few weeks at around 75.

Extract is always going to run this risk. If some of it hits the bottom of the pot before it gets fully dissolved in. It's gonna brown. Maillard reaction (sp?). You could use it 100 times and have this happen on the 101st.

I know you weren't complaining, but IMHO you should be celebrating. Hog Heaven is one of my favorite Amer. Barleywines!

Seeing as how commercial breweries blur the lines between American Barleywine and DIPA (not to mention the fact that they're pretty similar to begin with,) it's understandable why you might think your DIPA would taste like a commercial Barleywine. There isn't much difference between the two styles, except that Barleywines emphasize the malt a little more than DIPAs.

Yeah i'm definitely not complaining, was just a shock to see it pour red. It tastes great though and i'm not out to impress anyone by matching the style perfectly just yet.

Reviewing the details for Victory and UK Crystal 50 shows that they both lend a reddish amber color so I guess the combined 1 pound of those really came through all that extra light malt.

Sorry if I missed it, what is the FG? I would say that's usually one major distinction between a barleywine and a good DIPA. Also what yeast?

Sorry if I missed it, what is the FG? I would say that's usually one major distinction between a barleywine and a good DIPA. Also what yeast?

FG started at 1.093 and ended up at 1.016 (10.11% ABV).

I used Wyeast 1056.

Why did you use Magnum hops at flameout? I'd only use them for bittering.

I really enjoy the spicy aroma of Magnum and find it pretty distinct when compared to other hop aromas so I threw some in at flameout since I had some laying around.

Latest posts

Back