My dilemma (lager brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruett

Reaction score
So I've had my first real attempt at a lager in the chest freezer at 50 degrees for 8 days now.

The krausen has fallen, and at this point, there are some little yeast cruds floating on the surface, but no more white foam or anything like that (there sure was last week!)

Anyway, I'm starting to think about diacetyl resting... but here's the dilemma: The temp's likely to be colder out in the garage for this week and next than the 60 or so I'd need, and the inside of the house is about 70-72.

Should I risk it with the 70 degree room temp, or should I just leave it longer at 50? If I leave it at 50, how long should I leave it before racking into secondary and cooling it down?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. It's an extract/specialty grain Munich Helles (Briess Pilsen extract, Weyermann carahell, Weyermann munich, Hallertau hops) with the Wyeast PC Staro Prague yeast (Fall 2009 Wyeast special yeast))

What is the current gravity and do you notice any diacetyl.

You can also make a "diacetyl rest" by keeping it at 50 F for another few days. You don't have to make a diacetyl rest at higher temps. It just helps in case you yeast has gotten very slow. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you if the fermentaion has stopped after just 8 days. But a gravity reading is necessary to determine if that is truly the case.

Kai

I did use a rather massive starter- the slurry from the bottom of 2 one gallon starters (I had a thread about that too), and it took off pretty quickly as a result.

I'm thinking I may just leave it at 50 for another week or so- that would do the trick, then rack & lager. Anyone see any issue with that?

I did use a rather massive starter- the slurry from the bottom of 2 one gallon starters (I had a thread about that too), and it took off pretty quickly as a result.

I'm thinking I may just leave it at 50 for another week or so- that would do the trick, then rack & lager. Anyone see any issue with that?

It should work. I'd suggest checking the SG and tasting for diacetyl before racking, just in case you have some diacetyl. Taste it, and if you have any "slickness" in the mouthfeel, don't rack but raise the temperature a bit to get the yeast to clean up the diacetyl. Since you pitched cool, and used a big starter, you may not even need a diacetyl rest.

Back