My conical beer fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderbydaybrewerbynight

Reaction score
Made this out of one peice of stainless pipe. Has been working out great, preparing to add refrigeration to it from a drinking foutain compressor I came across

2011-06-03 16.59.50.jpg

2011-06-03 13.56.35.jpg

2011-05-19 13.27.42.jpg

2011-05-20 07.31.32.jpg

2011-05-20 11.27.41.jpg

Is your day job welding or restoring cars or something? Wish I had those skills/ tools/ crap laying around... Well played sir

Here are a few more pics of the build, and a couple of pics of where it sits. Every weld has complete joint penetration, and was welded with a very good purge of argon so no sugaring.

2011-05-20 11.27.31.jpg

2011-05-24 14.46.29.jpg

2011-06-03 13.56.48.jpg

2011-11-06 10.50.13.jpg

2011-11-06 10.50.23[1].jpg

Holy crap ... Impressive! How do you seal the lid? What's the capacity?

It will hold 15 gal but I think 11 or 12 is a good max. The I seal it with a 5/16 thick foo grade hard rubber gasket I made. The stuff comes in big rolls we have a lot of it at work laying around and it cuts easily with a sharp knife and then you just drill out the bolt hole pattern.

It is made out of 3/16" stainless and I have pressure tested it up to 300 psi and its rather stout. After primary fermentation is complete in about a week I stop bleeding off the CO2 and let it build up and carbonate in the fermentor for about 3 weeks while it is still conditioning. It has worked out well that way so far.

All I have to say is while the boss was away I really played.

nice job guy, that a really cool placement in the bar too.

WHAT THE WHAT!?!?! That's totally awesome that you did it yourself! Did you save a lot making it, or was it a crime of passion (like most brewing DIYs)?

Sweet job man. What dia stainless pipe? Would tractor trailer type exhaust work?

That is really cool. I thought about doing something similar to a sanke keg.

WHAT THE WHAT!?!?! That's totally awesome that you did it yourself! Did you save a lot making it, or was it a crime of passion (like most brewing DIYs)?

Yep I have $50 in it but I got all the material for free from other left over material from old jobs. And I did it on the clock while the boss was away. But then when the owners got back they all thought it was cool as hell and gave me even more parts so I guess they didn't really care, I make them a lot of money.

Sweet job man. What dia stainless pipe? Would tractor trailer type exhaust work?

14" sch 10 316 stainless, I have not idea about the exhaust pipe I guess as long as its stainless it would be fine. If you buy a pipefitters hand book found on line it will tell you how to lay out the reducer.

Did you use a plasma cutter or zip disk to cut the tapers?

I used a metabo a large cutting disk, a plasma cutter would have required to much clean up afterward. It likes to spray liquid metal all over the inside of the pipe and then it all has to be ground off unless you stick some boiler insulation in there to block it. A plasma cutter also leaves slag that has to be cleaned up. Just use a grinder with a cut off wheel and a steady hand its much cleaner. If you want to build a reducer buy a pipe fitters hand book it will detail how to lay out a reducer from a piece of pipe.

I used a metabo a large cutting disk, a plasma cutter would have required to much clean up afterward. It likes to spray liquid metal all over the inside of the pipe and then it all has to be ground off unless you stick some boiler insulation in there to block it. A plasma cutter also leaves slag that has to be cleaned up. Just use a grinder with a cut off wheel and a steady hand its much cleaner. If you want to build a reducer buy a pipe fitters hand book it will detail how to lay out a reducer from a piece of pipe.

Hey thanks for the run down. I'm a welder as a well. Preaching to the choir brother. Cheers :mug:

Well after running about 10 or 12 batches though it now I have changed out the copper blow of tube and brass ball valve for all ss. Also I added a ball lock gas port to it so I can do a pressure transfer the beer. It is also to damn heavy to keep taking up to the bar to display and frement in and then take down to the garage to clean, and lugging up 10 gal and filling it on the bar top is over it stays in the garage period now at ground level.

Everytime I look at this I want to make one. I'm getting ready to get a winery/meadery together and going to be building a few sanke fermenters. Oh course I don't a TIG machine anymore.

Back