My Cascades have no aroma- yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowcreekWI

Reaction score
I have (7) first year plants, they have had very good year and produced 100's of cones, dime to quarter sized. The cones just started drying to that "papery" texture but the few I've pulled have no aroma except a grassy vegetative smell. Any ideas what might be going on , hopefully just RDWHAHB.

thanks,
Mike (Lodi WI)

I have (7) first year plants, they have had very good year and produced 100's of cones, dime to quarter sized. The cones just started drying to that "papery" texture but the few I've pulled have no aroma except a grassy vegetative smell. Any ideas what might be going on , hopefully just RDWHAHB.

thanks,

Mike (Lodi WI)

Mike,

If that is the case, then they were not ready. I hope you only picked a couple and not the entire crop.

If you have yet to fully harvest, then wait longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Take one of the biggest cones and split it open. You're looking for golden nuggets that start forming where the petals meet the strig. The more gold the bigger the hoppy punch.

Fwiw, if not for the much wiser folks on HBT I would have picked my first year crop way too early - like by three weeks or so.

Regardless of when one harvests, I recommend leaving a representative sample of cones on the bines so you can pick one or two over the following days/weeks and compare their character to what was harvested. It can be enlightening...

Cheers!

thanks for the replies, i see another HBT member asked the same question today so it must be a common newbie worry. I'll hold off harvest until they have good smell.

Mike

Take one of the biggest cones and split it open. You're looking for golden nuggets that start forming where the petals meet the strig. The more gold the bigger the hoppy punch.

Fwiw, if not for the much wiser folks on HBT I would have picked my first year crop way too early - like by three weeks or so.

Regardless of when one harvests, I recommend leaving a representative sample of cones on the bines so you can pick one or two over the following days/weeks and compare their character to what was harvested. It can be enlightening...

Cheers!

Since i have pics of this from my last year crop 3 days before harvest this is what they should more or less look like. If you smash them up in your hands and smell it should give you the hoppy smell.

2013-08-27%2016.40.24.jpg

2013-08-27%2016.45.06.jpg

2013-08-27%2016.46.26.jpg

Sounds like they're not yet ready, my cascades (2nd year) have cones that are at least 1-1.5" long already!

Latest posts

Back