My carboy is foaming out of the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haupt93

Reaction score
So I brewed my fist batch of milk stout this weekend it has been fermenting for almost 48 hours and the foam has filled the void in the top of the carboy and has turned the water in the air lock the same color as the beer what should I do from here!

So I brewed my fist batch of milk stout this weekend it has been fermenting for almost 48 hours and the foam has filled the void in the top of the carboy and has turned the water in the air lock the same color as the beer what should I do from here!

Congratulations! Your beer is rockin!

You can take the air lock off, shove one end of a tube in the bung and put the other in a tall jar of water or bucket or pot or something. It's called a blow off tube. Same thing as an air lock, just bigger.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388457603.527703.jpg

That won't let the beer get contaminated by doing that process

I would sanitize the blow off tube first. Although, once the beer is fermenting like that, it's harder than you would think to get contaminated. Don't worry about it, sanitize the tube and you'll be fine. You should always use a blow off by the way.

Thank you all for the quick responses I was in freak out mode this is my first batch so I wasn't sure what to expect. That was a surprise when I got home from work.

This happened with my stout too! It's always a surprise. I'm sure you're going to like it, cheers!

Or you can do primary in a bucket. I've only had an issue in a bucket once and that was bc I didn't boil off enough and ended up with not enough head space.

Latest posts

Back