my carboy cap failed- First Aid for Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartofglass

Reaction score
The cap on my 5 gal carboy split and now that Ive sealed the crack with beeswax the airlock is bubbling again. Its been fermenting for 2 weeks now. I think the carboy has been taking air for maybe 3-4 days?
What should I be concerned with and is there first aid I can do for the wort?

its a shame this would be my first post. Wont be my last.

aloha
Hog

fermentation produces CO2 which protects the beer from oxygen so you have nothiing to worry about.

Thats a relief- Making my list for the blame game for this first batch. Was sure the crack would make the top.

mahalo
Hog

RDWHAHB, unless stuff was falling in to your wort it will be just fine. And even if, it would still probably turn out OK.

The cap on my 5 gal carboy split and now that Ive sealed the crack with beeswax the airlock is bubbling again. Its been fermenting for 2 weeks now. I think the carboy has been taking air for maybe 3-4 days?
What should I be concerned with and is there first aid I can do for the wort?

its a shame this would be my first post. Wont be my last.

aloha
Hog

As mentioned above, you have nothing to worry about. The CO2 that the fermentation process has produced has long since pushed out any oxygen in the carboy. CO2 is heavier than air and it will act like a blanket over your beer. Even if you had the cap totally off, it would still be protected. Not to mention that there's going to be positive air pressure in the carboy, so the airflow is out, not in.

Back