My buddy brewed a Resin Clone and got props from Sixpoint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme_timd

Reaction score
Cool story here, one of my cigar/beer buddies, Dan Reeve, brewed a Resin clone and after some trading of messages via Twitter he did a swap with the guys at Sixpoint and they ended up featuring his beer on their website.

The recipe was formulated in a discussion thread on another site but the final recipe is credited to wubears71.

I got to try this in a swap and I have to say it's damn close to the original and a great beer.

Here's his recipe....

Six Point Resin Clone

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 103.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.4 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.4 %
9.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %
1.50 oz Nugget [12.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 56.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 6.4 IBUs
1.30 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 6.2 IBUs
0.70 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.6 IBUs
0.70 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 0.5 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule:
Electric Brewery Mash - Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 14.1 oz
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Inital Strike Wat Add 4.56 gal of water and heat to 152.0 152.0 F 90 min
HERMS Water Add 0.69 gal of water and heat to 154.0 154.0 F 0 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 20 min 168.0 F 25 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.16 gal water at 152.0 F Notes:

Cool story here, one of my cigar/beer buddies, Dan Reeve, brewed a Resin clone and after some trading of messages via Twitter he did a swap with the guys at Sixpoint and they ended up featuring his beer on their website.

I got to try this in a swap and I have to say it's damn close to the original and a great beer.

Here's his recipe....

Six Point Resin Clone

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 103.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 103.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.4 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.4 %
9.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %
1.50 oz Nugget [12.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 56.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 6.4 IBUs
0.65 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 6.2 IBUs
0.65 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 6.2 IBUs
0.70 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.6 IBUs
0.70 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 0.5 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule:
Electric Brewery Mash - Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 14.1 oz
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Inital Strike Wat Add 4.56 gal of water and heat to 152.0 152.0 F 90 min
HERMS Water Add 0.69 gal of water and heat to 154.0 154.0 F 0 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 20 min 168.0 F 25 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.16 gal water at 152.0 F Notes:

TIM!!! gotta give wubears71 credit for the recipe :)

Thanks for sharing this! I read the article and it's great that your pal got props from the sixpoint crew! I tried to make an IPA similar to the Resin. Used a touch of Special B, 6 ounce I think. And also a few doses of chinook hops. My version is not as potent (came out 7.1% and I should have dry hopped longer, but I am very happy with the result. Can't get the delicious sixpoint brews here in the hills of Appalachia, and I haven't had me a Resin for 6 months or so... But going from memory it did come out similar.

Was reminded of this thread last night watching the Sixpoint Hi-res release. Dan Reeve was part of the tasting crew. Pretty cool to get included in something like that. Shane seems like a chill guy too.

Can't wait to give hi-res a try. He avoids giving any details of the recipe but mentions a video coming out that should give some hints. The only thing he gives away is the use of "new" hops. Probably worth a new thread, but here's the link to the video.

http://sixpoint.com/blog/recent/hi-res-simultap/

Was reminded of this thread last night watching the Sixpoint Hi-Res release. Dan Reeve was part of the tasting crew. Pretty cool to get included in something like that. Shane seems like a chill guy too.

Can't wait to give hi-res a try. He avoids giving any details of the recipe but mentions a video coming out that should give some hints. The only thing he gives away is the use of "new" hops. Probably worth a new thread, but here's the link to the video.

Was reminded of this thread last night watching the Sixpoint Hi-Res release. Dan Reeve was part of the tasting crew. Pretty cool to get included in something like that. Shane seems like a chill guy too.

Yep! Dan was pretty stoked about that. Pretty cool to be included with all the other industry folks.

You're right about Shane, he does seem very chill, after seeing and hearing a few things about him I like Sixpoint even more. I'm working on a clone of Global Warmer and emailed their info email for advice, Shane replied to me and told me the malt, hops and yeast that they used.

Thanks for the recipe. I enjoy the Resin from time to time. And I accidentally bought a pound of cascade hops, so this would be a good way to use a bunch of them :)

Gotta say that I'm shocked that it's low alpha hops (other than the bittering addition). I thought for sure there was some Chinook and CTZ. Kudos, though. This is a great, complex beer. Not an easy one to replicate.

Why is the bottling volume only 3.5 gallons? I was thinking about making this and noticed the volumes. If I wanted 5 gallons in my keg then would I need to up the recipe?

You're going to have some trub loss and the dry hops will suck up some, but that does seem very low. If you bumped up the batch size to 5.5 gal (use a blow off tube!), I bet you end up with at least 4.5 gal to bottle with.

Why is the bottling volume only 3.5 gallons? I was thinking about making this and noticed the volumes. If I wanted 5 gallons in my keg then would I need to up the recipe?

Yeah you would.
If you aim for 5 gallons in the keg, use something like Beersmith to scale the recipe up. I read it as 5 gallons went into the fermenter and he bottled 3.5 gallons. Depending upon your equipment, you would need to scale it up and I'd aim for a 7 gallon batch at least. I really want to try this clone recipe but I want to try the actual beer first to compare.

Making the SixPoint website - super cool. And, thanks for posting the recipe.

Question - How do you get such high efficiency numbers?

Why did this thread seem to die? I was just at a beer fest and had my first Hi-Res. My word, what a great beer.

Yep! Dan was pretty stoked about that. Pretty cool to be included with all the other industry folks.

You're right about Shane, he does seem very chill, after seeing and hearing a few things about him I like Sixpoint even more. I'm working on a clone of Global Warmer and emailed their info email for advice, Shane replied to me and told me the malt, hops and yeast that they used.

Any luck with the Global Warmer clone? I love that beer, and I'd like to brew it year round.

Any luck with the Global Warmer clone? I love that beer, and I'd like to brew it year round.

Nope! I haven't tried it yet and kind of put that one on the back burner for a while. I agree though that I'd love to have the one available year round.

Nope! I haven't tried it yet and kind of put that one on the back burner for a while. I agree though that I'd love to have the one available year round.

You mentioned Shane gave you the info for the malt, hops, and yeast for Global Warmer. You mind sharing so I can do my best at throwing together a recipe?

You mentioned Shane gave you the info for the malt, hops, and yeast for Global Warmer. You mind sharing so I can do my best at throwing together a recipe?

Here you go, this is the info he shared with me. Let me know how it goes.

The Global Warmer uses a variety of crystal malts but we also have some munich malt as well. For yeast strain, try using the 007 yeast from White Labs for a clean fermentation. For hops we kept it 100% American with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, and Crystal.

Here you go, this is the info he shared with me. Let me know how it goes.

The Global Warmer uses a variety of crystal malts but we also have some munich malt as well. For yeast strain, try using the 007 yeast from White Labs for a clean fermentation. For hops we kept it 100% American with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, and Crystal.

Thanks for the info. I've started a new thread to see where this one goes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sixpoint-global-warmer-recipe-critique-474170/

Back