My Blichmann HERMS is DONE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonNeumann

Reaction score
Greetings,

I finally finished my HERM system! Please give me your feedback on my new brew stand. I've dubbed him Hermann the BrewMonster v1.0.

It's based on the Blichmann Top Tier stand, Auber PID controller, a 24 volt Honeywell LP gas valve and a Maxitrol regulator. It works great and now I'm really itching to build another controller!

If anyone would like me to build them a controller, I'm more than happy to do it for the cost of parts and shipping- not a penny more. Parts for two Auber controllers with the thermocouples comes out to around $200. A single controller system is about $125.00. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,
Jason

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

IMG_3.jpg

IMG_4.jpg

Very nice. Do you have a wiring diagram for your control panel? Unless that's secret, and then don't worry about it. I can see most of it anyways.

Can I ask where you bought the plug bulkheads you have mounted to the side?

No secrets from me, but I don't have a good wiring diagram... just some chicken scratch on a piece of paper.

How about those plug bulkheads? I've seen them around, but are yours anything fancy? I'm looking for a way to get my 110V power through the wall of my control box, then a way to get power to my pump in the same sort of way. I would like both to plug into the outside of the box.

looks nice..... forgive me if i sound dumb. Why not just do single tier? I mean isn't the point of using triple tier so you don't have to spend the money on pumps? You spent all that time to make a nice set up, for a few extra bucks you could have thrown in some pumps and made it easier to brew.

(disclaimer i am very new and only doing extract stuff so i dont really know what im taking about)

looks nice..... forgive me if i sound dumb. Why not just do single tier? I mean isn't the point of using triple tier so you don't have to spend the money on pumps? You spent all that time to make a nice set up, for a few extra bucks you could have thrown in some pumps and made it easier to brew.

(disclaimer i am very new and only doing extract stuff so i dont really know what im taking about)

Valid point but he's doing HERMS which requires a pump.

My guess is it's just a space saver.:mug:

How about those plug bulkheads? I've seen them around, but are yours anything fancy? I'm looking for a way to get my 110V power through the wall of my control box, then a way to get power to my pump in the same sort of way. I would like both to plug into the outside of the box.

Mine are nothing fancy at all. The March pump plugs into a switched port in the controller and that allows me flip the pump on or off.

Valid point but he's doing HERMS which requires a pump.

Yes. Right. I would not need a pump at all except that I need a way to recirculate the mash through a HERMS coil in my HLT up top. The other reason for a single tier it that it saves floor apace in my garage.

I would like something like this. What would it take to turn my rig into one like yours?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-2997405761.jpg

I would like something like this. What would it take to turn my rig into one like yours?

All you need to do is add temp control to your HLT and, if you wanted a HERMS, you would add a pump between your mash tun and a HERMS coil in your HLT for mash recirculation. If you search for HERMS you'll find a lot of information.

At the end of he day, the controller is nothing more than a fancy thermostat. You could apply it to a HERMS, a direct fired mash or any number of brewing applications. I built mine for a couple of reasons - 1) I just wanted to see if I could do it and 2) I like the idea of a HERMS for controlling mash temp. without a plastic cooler. I'm not sure the system actually produces a better beer than a system like yours. Personally I don't think so but it just has a nice machismo factor and was a fun project.

your controller has HLT/BOIL temp, are you using that one controller for both? how are you mounting your probe? I think i see them hanging but not sure.

your controller has HLT/BOIL temp, are you using that one controller for both?

Hi rekoob,

I haven't mounted the probes yet but they are threaded with 1/2" ntp. I will tee them into the output of the Boilermakers. In my case the first probe/controller labeled "MASH" will measure the output from the mash tun (like others here have done) and will fire the HLT burner (with the HERMS coil) to ensure a consistent mash temp.

The second controller/probe was from my original design that would have used two controllers (one for the HLT and one for a direct fired mash). In my case, since I went the HERMS route, I only need one controller which is used to measure my mash temps (I decided against a directly fired mash). So.... at the moment, the second controller is nothing more than an expensive thermometer and probe. I left it in the control panel in case I made a design change in the future. As to the labeling; I thought, just for fun, I would monitor the HLT water during recirculation and I could also use it to keep an eye on my boil temp during the boil.

In the end, the second controller/probe and subsequent label "HLT/BOIL" are unnecessary but can be used in future design modifications. The label was supposed to just say "BOIL" but I screwed up ordering it on the website. Yep, that is confusing. I guess I should have labeled the first controller MASH/HLT, since that's what the probe is measuring, and the second label should simply read BOIL.

I hope this helps?

This is an impressive setup. I just purchased the Blichmann Top Tier system and at some point was considering the Tower of Power but that's been on terminal back order from Blichmann so I want to go a different route. The system just came in and I haven't put it together yet as we're in a remodel phase of my brewing area and I will need some help with the plumbing/gas lines.

Do you have a parts list for this or are you looking at marketing this for others?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back