My beer is awful :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just brewed my first all grain biab bach. It is a wheat beer, based on this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/vi...t-place-german-wheat-2011-hbt-contest-240710/ , only my yeast was Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend.

It has been fermenting for little over a week now, and it's still in the fermenter. I took a hydrometer sample and it had really bad smell and taste, so I filled one bottle from the spigot and let it carbonate for a couple of days. I just tasted it, obviously it's not ready yet but even considering that, it's awful, definitely undrinkable.

The wort tasted good before fermenting. My sanitation process shouldn't be the problem, though you never know. I have made extract batches and they all tasted just fine in this stage.

It has a really, really overpowering "yeasty" taste, similar to the yeast used for baking (it doesn't taste at all like yeast at the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer). I even tried to filter some of it through a coffee filter bag to make it more clear, well it cleared up but the taste is still there. I don't think it's a clarity issue.

What's wrong with it? :confused: I know I should give it time, but right now I feel like i should just dumb it. Have you ever had similar smell/taste in an unfinished brew?

#1 it is probably not fully fermented yet.
#2 a couple of days carbonation is not enough.

Give it another week or better yet 2 then try again.

Bottle conditioning takes 3 weeks at about 70 degrees then 2 days cooling in the refrigerator.

It tastes yeasty because there is a heap of yeast in suspension. The reason teh yeast is in suspension is IT'S STILL FERMENTING!

Chances are there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's just not done yet. Leave it alone for a couple more weeks, bottle it, and wait a month.

It is GREEN.

3 weeks primary, 2 weeks in bottle, 1 week in fridge.

Yeah, I'm just gonna strech my sceduale to this, thanks! This is what I have done always before, but I was under the impression you should have hefes ferment for only 10 days.

Thanks for all the answers! :) I guess I'm just too impatient..

Yeast can not read calendars. They will take as long as they want to do their job. Do not go by time. (longer is usually better) Use gravity measurements to determine the progress of your fermentations.

Yeah, I'm just gonna strech my sceduale to this, thanks! This is what I have done always before, but I was under the impression you should have hefes ferment for only 10 days.

Thanks for all the answers! :) I guess I'm just too impatient..

I'm not usually one to advocate pitching lots of yeast, but this is one instance where proper pitch rates can benefit the brewer. Starters certainly aren't a waste of time (though I don't make them for standard 5 gallon batches) but a greater yeast: wort volume ratio will speed fermentation.

That, and patience. ;) Kyle

Please don't even think about dumping it. Just be paitent and wait. And don't bother tasting your beer while it is fermenting it will probably never be good at that point.

Hi again! The beer has now been in the fermenter for three weeks, and it still has this off-taste. At this point I'm probably just gonna bottle it anyway, but do you still think this is normal?

The beer has zero banana/other fruity aromas I was going for, I'm guessing they should be there at this point, right?

Might be a stupid question: Have you ever had Hefeweizen? Do you like it?

This beer has a distinct flavor profile because of all the wheat in the grist and the character the yeast provides. It is supposed to have a definite yeast component...in fact the yeast sediment is typically roused in the bottle and poured into the glass for drinking.

It is definitely not a 'clean' ale like your typical pale, IPA etc, nor should it be treated like one.

Also, I disagree with the boilerplate HBT advice of give it time, and then more time (WTF...6 weeks!?!...really?...for a Hef!?!)

....this is one style you can/should be drinking young and cloudy.

Might be a stupid question: Have you ever had Hefeweizen? Do you like it?

I have and I do. The off-taste I have has nothing in common with how hefes taste like. My beer is crystal clear at this point, which I'm not too happy about either, shouldn't all the wheat protein still be there? My best guess is something went wrong with the fermenting.

Yes, but drinking young doesn't mean drinking before conditioning. Let your beer mellow in the bottle. Taste at 2, 3, 4 weeks. My current brews (not hefes) taste best if I leave them 5 to 6 weeks before drinking. Hefes have a broad range of flavors, make sure the hefe you're attempting fits what you like. I love to swirl the yeast on a hefe and drink it all up. Your beer probably just needs a little more time.

I fermented in 68 ambient temperature, the optimal temperature range for the yeast is 64-74F so I don't think that's the problem. Even if the off-taste would fade away, I still have the problem of not having any fruity characteristics in the beer. Could I still get esters in bottle conditioning?

I have and I do. The off-taste I have has nothing in common with how hefes taste like. My beer is crystal clear at this point, which I'm not too happy about either, shouldn't all the wheat protein still be there? My best guess is something went wrong with the fermenting.

Your best bet is to ID the off-flavor. Can you get someone knowledgable to try it and ID it for you?

If I were to guess, I would say it was too high of a fermentation temp.

Ambient temperature means that you have no control over it, and it can fluctuate below and above your fermentation temperature range without you being aware of it. Most off-flavors are fermentation derived so unless you can provide a better descriptor of the off-flavors I would assume you have some fermentation issues.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_faults.pdf

I'm sorry to say I ended up dumping it. There was just no way it would end up being drinkable beer. Even the fermenter is still smelling like it, even after I throughly washed it with dishwashing soap. Any tips how to get rid of the smell?

I'm now thinking the problem was probably the hops I used. They were partly brown and had an unpleasent cheesy smell. I just used them anyway, since I had nothing else and this was only the second time I ever used fresh hops so I wasn't sure if they were ok. Could this be the problem?

Oxiclean 24 hour soak should take care of that fermenter. I've only used hop pellets, but I could imagine a cheesy smell being a bad sign.

I'm now thinking the problem was probably the hops I used. They were partly brown and had an unpleasant cheesy smell. I just used them anyway, since I had nothing else and this was only the second time I ever used fresh hops so I wasn't sure if they were okay. Could this be the problem?

What hops did you use? Where did you buy your hops? How old were they? How did you store them?

If they were directly out of the vacuumed bag from the retailer, I'd be contacting them.

It has been fermenting for little over a week now, and it's still in the fermenter. I took a hydrometer sample
Why ever would you do this so soon? Come on man..... Give them little Yeasties the chance to work for you. I mean its hard work and they need a little time. They like their job! But they need a little time to get it right for you! They wont drink any when its done I promise you that. No fear brotha' Put the hydrometer down and step away from the fermenter! You can join the airlock sniffers club, HELL you can be President, but let them yeasties drink wort, piss alcohol and fart C02! They are doing it for YOU! AND THEY ARE GOOD AT IT!! :D

Just playing with ya' and having a little fun....LOL

Cheers
Jay

I'm sorry to say I ended up dumping it. There was just no way it would end up being drinkable beer. Even the fermenter is still smelling like it, even after I throughly washed it with dishwashing soap. Any tips how to get rid of the smell?

I'm now thinking the problem was probably the hops I used. They were partly brown and had an unpleasent cheesy smell. I just used them anyway, since I had nothing else and this was only the second time I ever used fresh hops so I wasn't sure if they were ok. Could this be the problem?

The hops had an unpleasant cheesy smell?? Well, that's not a good thing.

Also, it's best to use an oxygen-based cleaner for your brewing equipment and drinking glasses.

Other than the cheesy hops, it sounds like maybe something just didn't go quite right with your brew process. Did you take a ton of notes? Review them, and I'm sure you'll figure out where it all went wrong.

Did you have anyone else taste your beer before you dumped it? A second or third opinion is always a good idea.

I would say you've found your culprit. Sounds like the hops had gone bad. As asked avove though, if they were sealed in a new package and this is how they came out, I'd be contacting the retailer on this.

Back