My Apricot IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Put this in your pipe and smoke it:

India Pale Ale, American IPA

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.50
Anticipated OG: 1.063 Plato: 15.34
Anticipated SRM: 8.2
Anticipated IBU: 80.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.2 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
34.5 5.00 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 1.035 2
3.4 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
3.4 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Cluster Pellet 6.89 29.0 60 min.
0.33 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.40 5.7 50 min.
0.33 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.20 5.0 50 min.
0.33 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 6.0 50 min.
0.33 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.40 4.6 40 min.
0.33 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.20 4.4 40 min.
0.33 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 5.3 40 min.
0.33 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.40 3.1 30 min.
0.33 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.20 3.0 30 min.
0.33 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 3.3 30 min.
0.33 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.40 1.6 15 min.
0.33 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.20 1.6 15 min.
0.33 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 1.7 15 min.
0.33 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.40 1.0 5 min.
0.33 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.20 1.0 5 min.
0.33 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.60 1.1 5 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.40 1.5 2 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.20 1.3 2 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 4.40 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1098 British Ale

Will rack onto 3 lbs of apricot puree in secondary. Will either rack onto
more apricot in tertiary, or add extract before kegging.

I'm going with a more "constant" hop addition to smooth out the hop character a little. I think the apricot in secondary will bring the alcohol level up some, so I went with some 6-row to maintain some "grain" character in the backbone. Hopefully that will keep it from finishing too dry.

Whaddya think? If all goes to plan, I think it's going to be a good, big, tasty brew.

No one? I added a flameout addition of Cascade/Mt Hood (I think), and the 2 min/dry hops are supposed to be pellets, not whole. If all goes to plan, I'll brew this Sunday.

i was thinking the same thing - fook me look at the hops. i mean i'm a hop head myself but cripes ! i don't think i've ever seen that much hops before

8 oz of hops?

Hmmmm....seems to me that's the first thing I said when you (Sam75) sent me this recipe a few weeks back...LOL.... :D

That is going to be one mother of a beer. Do you think you are going to taste any apricot in it? Hops is going to overpower it....I think.

you'd have to gouge my eyes out to convince me to pour freshly fermented beer atop an apricot slurry, but i hate fruit beers... ;)

prolly toooooo many hops, i made a stout (dubbed ze dark and nasty) ages ago with four oz of hopps and it's too strong even for me, i have a few dozen bottles still sitting, prolly never will drink them :)

if you like all the ibu's then go for it! let us know what you think when it's done fermenting, i'm interested to know how it turns out!

ORRELSE said:
Hmmmm....seems to me that's the first thing I said when you sent me this recipe a few weeks back...LOL.... :D

Are you saying that I sent you a recipe with 8 oz of hops? I don't think so! :confused:

I've never used more than 3 oz in any recipe that I can remember. Even my last recipe used 4 different kinds of hops, but no more than 3 oz.

And I know for certain I never sent ANYONE any fruit recipes, ESPECIALLY apricot! Yechhhh! Tastes like soapy water to me. :eek:

LOL....y'all are just jealous. :D

Bill....he was referring to when I sent him this recipe a while back.

Maybe I'll cut back on the hops a little. From what I gather, though, Mt Hood and Wilamette are both really mild....not quite as overpowering as Cascade.

Anyway, how does the grain bill look?

the grain looks real good, give you a nice kick malt wise and alcohol content :)

i would use that grain bill and just pour an oz or two of kent goldings in the initial boil and then an oz at 20 minutes, chill it and drop it on a white labs irish ale yeast slurry and pack it in... nice esb :)

infact, i think that will be my recipe this weekend mate!

:D

t1master said:
the grain looks real good, give you a nice kick malt wise and alcohol content :)

i would use that grain bill and just pour an oz or two of kent goldings in the initial boil and then an oz at 20 minutes, chill it and drop it on a white labs irish ale yeast slurry and pack it in... nice esb :)

infact, i think that will be my recipe this weekend mate!

:D

That'll be one big, malty ESB! Notice that my efficiency is set at 65%........that's based on my first ever AG batch, where I overshot my mash temp by a good bit. In reality, I think this one will go to 1.067, as long as I don't overshoot my temps by as big a margin as I did before, and get my water volumes right.

Another thing you have to consider for what I plan to do here is the fruit. That should raise the actual alcohol content some more. Therefore, more hops. If my efficiency is good, this thing will probably come out within the fringes of the "imperial" IPA range, so I don't consider 80 IBU's so radical.

anyways sam - now that we've kicked dirt on your recipe - you'll have to send us all a bottle and prove you know what you're doin! :D

Sam,
Have you tried the Dogfish Head Aprihop? Maybe my 4 pack was old, or something, because it was funky. And I like hoppy beers, but it just didn't jive with me? I had several other's in my brew club, who love the 90 Min IPA, say the same about the Aprihop. Maybe the sweetness from the fruit didn't mix well with all the hops ???????

brewhead said:
anyways sam - now that we've kicked dirt on your recipe - you'll have to send us all a bottle and prove you know what you're doin! :D

If its anything like his last IPA--its going to be awesome. I think he's using pretty much the same concept for this one--but he tweaked it and "Emerilized" it (kicked it up a notch--BAM!!!!!!) if you will. I'm sure if you are worthy you'll get a sample. :)

DeRoux's Broux said:
Sam,
Have you tried the Dogfish Head Aprihop? Maybe my 4 pack was old, or something, because it was funky. And I like hoppy beers, but it just didn't jive with me? I had several other's in my brew club, who love the 90 Min IPA, say the same about the Aprihop. Maybe the sweetness from the fruit didn't mix well with all the hops ???????

DeRoux--he brought some over to my place one day when we brewed and we were both highly disappointed. Something wasn't right about it.
I still have one of the bottles in my fridge. I need to get rid of it. :)

DeRoux's Broux said:
Sam,

Yes I have, and as ORRELSE pointe dout, I was underwhelmed. I thought the apricot flavor got lost in the malt. Hence, this recipe. :D

glad i wasn't the only one. i still have two to get rid of. my boxer wouldn't even drink it! he went to lick'n his but after he tasted it, to get the taste out of his mouth!

you recipe looks good, and i'm sure it'll be better than the Aprihop!
good luck!!!

Back