My airlock blew off through the night!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnoonan85

Reaction score
Hey guys my airlock blew off my carboy lastnight . I am currently making the coopers Mexican cervaza. So my beer was exposed for a long period of time. I put the airlock back on and it continued to bubble . Is my beer ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You should be fine. The CO2 that is gassing off should have created a barrier to keep the oxygen away.

Or make sure the wort temp at pitch time is at the yeast's minimum temp range. Yesterday,I pitched S-04 re-hydrated on my Irish red @ wort temp of 63.5F. It's at 66F at the moment & no need for a blow off. It got me to thinking that people seeing wild blow offs with S-04 had higher wort temps at pitch time.

I had my first blow out last night. Pitched WPL001 on Friday night. Woke up this morning to an airlock full of krausen. Caught it just in time. Yanked it out, put in a blow off tube.

It was my first time pitching liquid yeast (starter as well). I'll be better prepared next time :)

Thanks guys!! Makes me feel a bit better ! Lol it looks to be fine ! Still bubbling away!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After having this happen on my first 2 batches, I use a blow off tube every time now, at least for the first few days of fermentation.

Or make sure the wort temp at pitch time is at the yeast's minimum temp range. Yesterday,I pitched S-04 re-hydrated on my Irish red @ wort temp of 63.5F. It's at 66F at the moment & no need for a blow off. It got me to thinking that people seeing wild blow offs with S-04 had higher wort temps at pitch time.

This.

The use of a blowoff tube is good for now, but look into ways to control temperature. If you ferment in the mid-60's, as most ale yeasts should, you wont get enough krausen to have a blowout. Especially worts of low/moderate gravity, such as the cervesa.

I've never had anything even close to a blow off. It's really simple to avoid. In every case on a standard ale it's because the fermenter is sitting at room temp and is too hot.

1. Cool wort down to BELOW yeast pitching/primary ferment temperatures.
2. Pitch healthy re-hydrated/yeast starter yeast in the correct amount. Use a pitch rate calculator or check Jamil's site for the math (or both) if you like doing it by hand.
3. Ferment at the low-mid range of the yeast strain (not beer kit instructions) ALWAYS by yeast strain!

So let's say I make a 5 gallon batch of pale ale using Nottingham.

1. Cool the wort down to about 60F.
2. Pitch a re-hydrated package of Nottingham that has been cooled within 5 or so degrees of wort temp. In this case 65F.
3. Let the fermenter (NOT ambient temp) come up someplace between 62-65F and hold it there during the first few days of active fermentation.
4. Once active fermentation is done let the fermenter temp come up to say 70F and sit for a week or two before the next phase.

New to the game? Two words; swamp cooler!

I use a blow off for most of my ales. I collect 5 gallons wort in a 6 gallon Better Bottle. And I have to use the blow-off almost every time. Of the beers I did not, I caught two hissing and foaming out of the 3-piece airlock. For example, just last night my all Brett IPA... 74 hours in and whoa, it took off like a volcano.

I also 2nd the idea of pitching just under the intended fermentation temp and let it rise up into your target temperature.

Back