Must fight the urge to be a beer snob....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
I'm. At the local brew pub and the guy next to me orders a miller light, wtf? But I don't try to educate him cuz he is intent on it's the only beer with triple hops in it. Lol. I'm also finding myself wanting to ask my server about malto dextrin and stuff I'm sure she has no idea

Hey, thousands of people this weekend are going to be flipping burgers 20 times, squeezing all the fat out with the spatula, and serving a dried out puck of meat. Then drink it along with their BMC Light.

Doesn't make it delicious. It isn't snobbery, it's education.

I agree, the thing that makes it snobby is being a condescending ******. Enlightening someone is not snobby. As far as the server thing I find myself happiest drinking at my fave craft bar where the bartenders are well educated on these things.

Cyclman said:
Hey, thousands of people this weekend are going to be flipping burgers 20 times, squeezing all the fat out with the spatula, and serving a dried out puck of meat. Then drink it along with their BMC Light.

Doesn't make it delicious. It isn't snobbery, it's education.

Oh, that reminds me of the worst burger cook I ever saw. He's actually a friend of mine, but not someone who makes good food. But somehow he was in charge of cooking for a large group. He had bags of frozen burger patties that he just opened and plopped the patties right on the grill. And bonus, he had the grill way too hot so it insured the outside was just shy of leathery charcoal by the time the inside was no longer raw after being flipped about a dozen times and pressed into the grill to make sure there was no trace of moisture left inside. So, so very bad.

I'm going to offer a different opinion, keep in mind that it is just my opinion. BMC are all well made beers, just because you don't like them or think the beer tastes good doesn't change that fact. They are businesses and they cater to what most people look for when they want a beer, that's why they have 90+% market share. With the equipment they have they could make any style of beer more consistent and stylistically correct than any microbrewery. Ask Mitch Steele of Stone who worked for Anheuser Busch for years. I personally think it is snobbery to think less of someone because you tried to share something that you are interested in and they are not (I'm guilty of this myself, but I try to change my own thinking when I make myself aware of it). With that being said, with the exception of day drinking on a hot summer day, I don't really touch BMC either. Too much good craft beer and homebrew to drink. Just wanted to offer a differing opinion.

Yes, fight the urge!!!!!

The most irritating person in the universe is any snob on any subject.

Whether it's beer, food, wine, medical care, cars, motorcycles, travel, etc- everybody hates a snob. They aren't respected- they are laughed at behind their back. Beer snobs give ALL beer lovers a bad name, as pretentious asses. Let's not be that way!

I love beer as much as any other beer geek, but I would never denigrate someone else's choice.

Same with travel. I don't want to hear that "Tanzania is so last year", or that "Ecuador is sooooo overdone".

Snobs come across as pretentious and ignorant, and I can't stand that!

I'm going to offer a different opinion, keep in mind that it is just my opinion. BMC are all well made beers, just because you don't like them or think the beer tastes good doesn't change that fact. They are businesses and they cater to what most people look for when they want a beer, that's why they have 90+% market share. With the equipment they have they could make any style of beer more consistent and stylistically correct than any microbrewery. Ask Mitch Steele of Stone who worked for Anheuser Busch for years. I personally think it is snobbery to think less of someone because you tried to share something that you are interested in and they are not (I'm guilty of this myself, but I try to change my own thinking when I make myself aware of it). With that being said, with the exception of day drinking on a hot summer day, I don't really touch BMC either. Too much good craft beer and homebrew to drink. Just wanted to offer a differing opinion.

I dont think he was saying the guy is terrible for drinking BMC, its that the guy was going on about how Miler Lite was the only triple hopped beer.

No need to fight it...beer snob and proud of it! I only wish I became a snob earlier in life!

Yes, fight the urge!!!!!

The most irritating person in the universe is any snob on any subject.

Whether it's beer, food, wine, medical care, cars, motorcycles, travel, etc- everybody hates a snob. They aren't respected- they are laughed at behind their back. Beer snobs give ALL beer lovers a bad name, as pretentious asses. Let's not be that way!

I love beer as much as any other beer geek, but I would never denigrate someone else's choice.

Same with travel. I don't want to hear that "Tanzania is so last year", or that "Ecuador is sooooo overdone".

Snobs come across as pretentious and ignorant, and I can't stand that!

I think this is the perfect way to express this. :mug:

"A beer snob cares what he drinks. A beer snob cares what you drink."

Don't be a ******. Unless he asks you for advice, best to hold your tongue. If he likes what he likes, it's not your place to change that.

I think this was supposed to be a beer GEEK cares what he drinks. A beer snob cares what you drink.

I agree. That attitude is the same as getting pissed off when you go somewhere and they have sam adams listed under imports. It's a price point for most people. Not a discription.

Brewbien said:

I don't disagree with your opinion one bit. For a lager, BMC is great. I think what people don't enjoy about the company is that they don't have passion anymore. Great beer is not the focus any longer, it's maximizing profits. Beer is a commodity to them now. Sell sell sell. Their business tactics are malicious as well, which makes me frown.

Enough of that poo. I think people are hitting the right points though. It's not bad to be educated on the subject, but being a stuck up ass about it is different. Same as the BMC talk, when I order something "fancy" and they order a bud, I'm not going to be a wang about educating them on "better" beer. They like it and its also usually about $2 cheaper than what I am getting. Who am I to say that they are wrong. It is true though, that when a person tries to battle with intellect, on a subject that they think they know, but you are more educated, it's a must to give an opinion. I'm not a fan of going to a restaurant and having the waitress tell me that blue moon is an IPA, while she stares at me in disgust while I try to inform her that it is, in fact, not. That is not snobby. That is fact.

I would have explained to that guy, he is not necessarily correct, but on the right track. "Try this one. It's a 'triple hopped' pale ale too."

I don't disagree with your opinion one bit. For a lager, BMC is great. I think what people don't enjoy about the company is that they don't have passion anymore. Great beer is not the focus any longer, it's maximizing profits. Beer is a commodity to them now. Sell sell sell. Their business tactics are malicious as well, which makes me frown.

Enough of that poo. I think people are hitting the right points though. It's not bad to be educated on the subject, but being a stuck up ass about it is different. Same as the BMC talk, when I order something "fancy" and they order a bud, I'm not going to be a wang about educating them on "better" beer. They like it and its also usually about $2 cheaper than what I am getting. Who am I to say that they are wrong. It is true though, that when a person tries to battle with intellect, on a subject that they think they know, but you are more educated, it's a must to give an opinion. I'm not a fan of going to a restaurant and having the waitress tell me that blue moon is an IPA, while she stares at me in disgust while I try to inform her that it is, in fact, not. That is not snobby. That is fact.

I would have explained to that guy, he is not necessarily correct, but on the right track. "Try this one. It's a 'triple hopped' pale ale too."

Shhe-it..my pale ales are at least quadruple hopped...how cool am I!? :rolleyes:

It's funny because my BMC buddies were giving me the hard time not vice versa...so I started calling myself a beer "snob". It was all in good fun though. I definitely give my friends and family a hard time (my brother works for Anheuser) about drinking BMC, but is because craft is SOOOOO much better (most of the time) and I truly want them to see that...oh and it's fun!

The more Bud and Miller they drink means there is more good beer for me to drink!

I drink a fair amount of my homebrew and a good amount of craft beer, but I can tell you one thing. When I'm sitting on the lake in the 90 degree TN summer sun the last thing I want is some big craft beer or high abv beer. I'll take a cheap bmc lite/light beer without thinking twice about it and enjoy it.

I just thought it was funny for a guy to walk into a place that has seven of their own beers on tap sit at the bar and order a miller light even after they informed him that all beers are $3.00 a pint. I also asked the waitress if she knew if there was malt dextrin in the brown ale and she said yes

MedicMang said:

It's marketing a lot of craft brewers have lame marketing to. Don't think bmc make good beer. Go try your hand at a light American lager and see where it falls. One of the toughest beers to make no room for flaws.
These brewers know what they are doing and making consistent beer across the world even when using different sources for water

mot said:
It's marketing a lot of craft brewers have lame marketing to. Don't think bmc make good beer. Go try your hand at a light American lager and see where it falls. One of the toughest beers to make no room for flaws.
These brewers know what they are doing and making consistent beer across the world even when using different sources for water

I don't care for the beer but I agree. For the consistency and quantity , it's an amazing feat.

I just thought it was funny for a guy to walk into a place that has seven of their own beers on tap sit at the bar and order a miller light even after they informed him that all beers are $3.00 a pint. I also asked the waitress if she knew if there was malt dextrin in the brown ale and she said yes

It's almost like that guy has personal preferences different from your preferences.

Only time I'm snoby. Is when they snob me first. Other than that. I usally don't care.

+1 Unless he starts getting on your case about not drinking a "real beer" like Miller Lite, just let him drink what he likes. Don't be That Guy.

Now, if he asks you what you're drinking and seems genuinely curious, by all means tell him a little bit about what it is and why you like it. Maybe even suggest something from the beer list that he might enjoy.

I was at a restaurant with my family last week. The beer menu sucked. The only good thing was Harpoon IPA, the rest was BMC, Amstel, corona, etc.

I complained that the beer menu was lacking while the wine list read like a good book. My father, out of nowhere, calls me a beer snob. I explain that I am not and just like to drink better beer.

Later the subject of cereal came up. My brother left a box of Cheerios at my parents house. My father saved it and took it on his six hour trip to visit. My sister asked why he even bothered. "Because I can't stand Cheerios and didn't want it in my closet anymore" he said, too which I replied " What a cereal snob you have become".

My sister then laughed at him and proceeded to spit a really nice Barbaresco all over the table.

A couple at the pub told me to shut up after I scolded them on the nature of making Pilsners. I can't stand the folks at Lagunitas claiming to brew a Czech style pilsner. It's nothing like a real pilsner.

Let out your inner beer snob...just be ready for a bit of backlash. The fanboys of particular breweries will defend it all to death. Just keep a set of dueling pistols handy.

I think in a way to a certain degree. We are all snobs. One way or another. Call it "Snobs"," experience". "Opinions". Call it what you will. But, there be a little snob in all of us.

pabloj13 said:
It's almost like that guy has personal preferences different from your preferences.

It's just silly to go to a specialty place alone and tell them you can't drink that crap when they offer you one of their beers. It's kind of the point of going to a place like that. I can see if he was at a get together and thats where everybody else wanted to go. But to walk in there alone and tell them you can't drink their "crap" come on man just go to another bar to watch the cardinals game

I drink a fair amount of my homebrew and a good amount of craft beer, but I can tell you one thing. When I'm sitting on the lake in the 90 degree TN summer sun the last thing I want is some big craft beer or high abv beer. I'll take a cheap bmc lite/light beer without thinking twice about it and enjoy it.

The more reason for homebrewers and craft brewers to get off the dipa ris high alch wagon. There are a few breweries doing well made session beers but defiantly not a huge selection.

Or the annoying homebrewers at bars snd breweries, that think it's a miracle that they brew beer and must let the world know. Not sure if I am alone with that or not.

I used to travel a lot on business, overnight trips mostly. I love good food as well as good beer.

Despite this I settled on eating in chain resataurants. Not McD's, but chains none the less. A friend called me out on this and I had to explain that places like the Outback were predictably mediocre. there's a lot to be said for that. I've eaten a lot of crappy food in my quest for the holy grail.

Maybe the guy wasn't into slamming several beers in the quest for something decent. Maybe he just needed the predictable mediocrity , maybe he was blessed with unsophisticated expectations of what a beer should be.

I whole heartedly agree that if he's being a d#ck about your choice, then all's fair game.

Interestingly enough, when I was over in Germany a German friend of mine pointed out how much MGD tasted like the festbier (in this town it was "Cluss") we had so often. I was going on about how crappy a friend's choice in beer was when he pointed this out. Side by side they were distinct, but a couple days apart it was easy to see how he could say that. Just goes to show that Import or Craft is not necessarily that different.

I don't think that's entirely true. BMC's attempts at craft-esque beers have been pretty bad. American Ale anyone? Shock Top IPA? They only succeed when they buy existing craft breweries like Widmer or Goose Island. They are great at making light lagers but that's it.

They will probably figure it out eventually but now that Torpedo is 7.50 a six-pack I don't see BMC stealing away craft beer market share any time soon. Hell, Bud Light is only a dollar less than Torpedo in my area.

Or the annoying homebrewers at bars snd breweries, that think it's a miracle that they brew beer and must let the world know. Not sure if I am alone with that or not.

Haha yes I own a nanobrewery and while I appreciate peoples' enthusiasm, I nod my head and smile politely a lot.

mot said:

Holy crap that was me in the past and I never even considered if I was being a d!€k. On the being a snob point. There are a good many people who simply buy into the marketing BS and truly believe frost brewed and triple hopped. And many are receptive to the truth, especially if you buy the next pint and explain why it is what it is. Careful though, they often turn into a "friend" who just wants to come over to help drain the keg "so you can get to the next batch"

Can be a beer nerd without being a beer snob. It's hard for me to classify myself a "snob" considering the amount of High Life I consume while stalking bass each summer.

Interestingly enough, when I was over in Germany a German friend of mine pointed out how much MGD tasted like the festbier (in this town it was "Cluss") we had so often. I was going on about how crappy a friend's choice in beer was when he pointed this out. Side by side they were distinct, but a couple days apart it was easy to see how he could say that. Just goes to show that Import or Craft is not necessarily that different.

Are you saying craft and bmc are pretty close??

Back