Music!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed in some people's public profiles many mention music as hobbies....

I'm a huge music fan as well, so I'll start!

Love all kinds of music. You name it--rock, classical, metal, country, jazz, everything...except I don't get the whole rap thing.
Some of my favorites right now are Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, Grasshopper Takeover, Flogging Molly and the one that hasn't left my CD player in weeks is Blackout by the Dropkick Murphys. Great drinking CD!
I could talk music all day long--especially over beers!
I've been meaning to play guitar for some time. I have an electric acoustic and I can play 3 chords, so I suck. Someday I'll give it a better whirl.

Anyone else?

orrelse said:
I noticed in some people's public profiles many mention music as hobbies....

I'm a huge music fan as well, so I'll start!

Love all kinds of music. You name it--rock, classical, metal, country, jazz, everything...except I don't get the whole rap thing.
Some of my favorites right now are Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, Grasshopper Takeover, Flogging Molly and the one that hasn't left my CD player in weeks is Blackout by the Dropkick Murphys. Great drinking CD!
I could talk music all day long--especially over beers!
I've been meaning to play guitar for some time. I have an electric acoustic and I can play 3 chords, so I suck. Someday I'll give it a better whirl.

Anyone else?

Keep jamming! I'm a huge music fan, I've been playing guitar for about 7-8 years now, and it feels like I'm just starting to understand music! anyways, I *love* me some british rock, Oasis, Travis, especially The Verve (bittersweet symphony, not the verve pipe which has that "freshman" song) anything really. If you want some good drinkin' music, Oasis is the way to go.(funny, I'm drinking right now while oasis came up on my playlist). I love all music, from country to classical to electronic, theres something in every style I can appreciate. I have some turntables that I bought about 2 years ago and Ive been trying my hand at beat mixing, trance, hiphop, you name it.
I've kind of noticed that there are some distinct personality traits among us homebrewers, like a love of cooking, music, beer :D ,something. All said and done, my favorite album of all time is Urban Hymns, by The Verve. Every song on it is amazing!

OSUmoney83 said:
couldn't help myself.......

" I was looking for some action, but all I found was cigarrettes and alcohol..."

cigarrettes and alcohol by Oasis. They have a lot more to offer than just their US hits from years ago like wonderwall and champagne supernova.

I gave Oasis a chance in the 90's but I got tired of the bickering they were always doing. They did have some good stuff.

If someone asked me to make a top 10 of all time faves, either songs or albums, I would really struggle. I love so much music it would be extremely hard to rate it. I have my regulars but moods and situations can be greatly enhanced by the right music.
Anyone ever heard of Captain Beyond? A rather obscure 70s group that had 2 CDs that just flat out rocked.
I have 500 CDs of you name it. Frequently friends and I will get together and just have DJ nights, where we play anythign that we want to hear. Those are great nights. I've found I'm much more open to different styles after I've put back a few brews, that's for sure!!!

I'm glad you started this thread...I, too, love music of all kinds. Grew up listening to early rap (pre-teen years), teen years I was into classic rock (Allmans, Jethro Tull, yadda yadda), then I got into jazz...Now I'm into everything (except rap)...
Listening to Shivaree, Madeleine Peyroux, Amy Corriea, Alison Krauss, always liked James Taylor....the Marshall Tucker Band, Portishead, Bjork, Steely Dan, Bob Marley is timeless, Quantic Soul Orchestra, Zero 7 is awesome.
I have a set of turntables, too; I wanted to learn to scratch and mix up some tunes, but I haven't practiced much....always wanted to learn an instrument, but never stuck with it.

Metal and hard rock. Everything else sounds too weak and it bores me. ;) I can't even listen to the radio anymore, as I feel disgusted after a few songs and turn the station to some news or something. I'm an avid guitar and electric bass player. Used to play the clarinet and saxaphone, but haven't touched either one in over 10 years.

I'm mostly into what you would call indy rock, but do listen to other stuff. Favorites include the Pixies, archers of loaf, radio head, Elliot Smith. Going town to Salt Lake City today to see Modest Mouse in concert!! :D

My tastes vary a lot. Elvis, Beatles, Led Zepplin, Kinks, Bob Marley, Tool, SOD, RHCP, Reverend Horton Heat, Frank Zappa, Don Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, list goes on ...

TxBrew said:
My tastes vary a lot. Elvis, Beatles, Led Zepplin, Kinks, Bob Marley, Tool, SOD, RHCP, Reverend Horton Heat, Frank Zappa, Don Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, list goes on ...

The reverend...good stuff!

I think my taste in music is just as diverse as my taste in beer. Started out more into the whole Seattle grunge thing, since my alternatives were the dying hair bands, which for some strange reason seem to be resurfacing....ew. But that's another issue. With that as a foundation, I ended up getting into techno and industrial, followed by punk and hardcore. REAL hardcore, not this Slipknot, Korn, Linkin Park BS....real hardcore....DC hardcore....Minor Threat, SOA, Government Issue.....anyway.....for the longest time I was of the mindset that "if it's not punk, it's garbage"....my how jaded back then. Opening up to ALL forms of music is the greatest thing ever. Doesn't mean you have to like every song, but there's a lot of good stuff out there that your ego doesn't let you accept. One of my biggest regrets is not letting myself get into Phish when they were still around. Once I started listening to them, I find it hard to listen to much of anything else. From a musical standpoint, it's simply amazing. There's so much going on there....

Music goes hand-in-hand with homebrewing and cooking. Once you get a basic recipe, or song style, down...it's easier to slightly alter it and get something totally new and different. It's a great expression of creativity no matter if you're a musician, chef, or brewer.....

Well, I was a teenager in the 60's (just a hippie jammin' in the park and on the beach) so I like everything 60s-70s-80s hard rock.

I too, have almost 500 CDs (I do have over 500 DVDs). My favorite bands include Pink Floyd, Zep, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, Scorpions, Ted Nugent, Alvin Lee (10 years After), Robin Trower, Deep Purple, etc. I also have some Country and Classical, and I've been to the opera.

I've been playing guitar since 1971. I've had about a dozen guitars for periods of time. Some got stolen, some sold, some given away.

My current equipment list includes the following:

Fender Telecaster Deluxe (US) (Natural Ash) (1976)
Fender Stratocaster w/ Floyd Rose (Mexican) (Black/Black) (1999)
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican) (White/Midnight Wine) (2001)
Fender Stratocaster Squire (Chinese) (Red Tortiose/Black) (2000)
Kaman Matrix Electric/Acoustic (US) (Sunburst) (1981)
Dean Markley Piece o'Crap (Black) (Just waiting for the moment to smash it) (199?)

Amps:
Fender Princeton Reverb (1976)
Line 6 Vetta Combo (2002)
Line 6 Vetta Combo FBV Longboard (2003)
Pignose Hog 20 Amp (1999)

Pedals:
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (2001)
Digitech RP-300 Multi-effects (2002)
Electra Metal Max (608HM) (2003)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Deluxe (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Linear Line Booster (1970s)
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter EH4800 (1970s)
Ibanez GE10 Graphic Equalizer (1980s - for the acoustic)
MXR Distortion + (1970s)
MXR Noise Gate Line Driver (1970s)

Trash:
Matrix Quartz Tuner - SR-1000 (2 each)
Exacto Quartz Metronome
Headphones (w/1/8” jack and ¼” adapter)
Several guitar stands
Assorted cables (working and not working), capos, picks, etc.

...oh, yeah, and I brew the beer I drink!

[/QUOTE]
Music goes hand-in-hand with homebrewing and cooking. Once you get a basic recipe, or song style, down...it's easier to slightly alter it and get something totally new and different. It's a great expression of creativity no matter if you're a musician, chef, or brewer.....[/QUOTE]

Good point, very good point. Nice to hear you appreciate some of the electronic music out there, my personal favorites our the Chemical Brothers, Dj Shadow, Crystal Method, Dave Ralph, any acid jazz.... It's just such a broad genre that there is something there for everyone.

I'm not seeing any tracks listed there. :confused: I've heard some snippets, and it seems a bit poppier than a lot of their stuff. But like their last CD, a lot of it was odd, classic Queens, and there were a few more "radio friendly" tracks. I'm hoping that's the case here. It's bound to be a little different since their maniac bass player (Nick Oliveri) was fired.

If you go to Amazon, you can pre-order the limited edition copy with a DVD....

OSUmoney83 said:
Good point, very good point. Nice to hear you appreciate some of the electronic music out there, my personal favorites our the Chemical Brothers, Dj Shadow, Crystal Method, Dave Ralph, any acid jazz.... It's just such a broad genre that there is something there for everyone.

What really kicked my love...ok obsession...with music into overdrive was *truly* discovering the blues. I used to think 'I'm too happy to listen to/play the blues...' Couldn't be farther from the truth. I think Blues is one of the few forms out there that expresses happiness, sadness, and everything in between. Real hardcore emotions can truly come out of a good blues song. Most of the stuff on the radio today emotes hate/rage/anger....conrats guys, you mastered the easiest emotion to show, and gave some drunken college guys something to listen to while they beat up your fans...... :D

NUCC98 said:
One of my biggest regrets is not letting myself get into Phish when they were still around.

I spent a LOT of time at Phish shows...up in your neck of the woods a lot of it, back between 1992-1997 or so. Saw them all over the place. I listen to a lot of stuff, most of which I got into through the hippie/jamband scene, but a lot of which has nothing to do with that scene. A lot of the jamband folks really have great ears and discover some really interesting stuff.

God what a great show.....

If you ever get a chance--SEE THESE GUYS LIVE. I know this is an old cliche but Josh Homme (sp?) has more talent in his little finger than I could ever imagine having. He is obviously the driving factor in the music and its just plain awesome. I just recently got into them--but why they aren't more popular is a mystery to me. Spacey, rocking your jock off, CEREBRAL (thanks SAM!) just stupid cool band.

Anyone else heard of these guys and can anyone comment? Who do you guys just adore music wise?

I'll go on a limb...my top five killer groups/people I probably couldn't live without.....

1. Stevie Ray Vaughn
2. Type O Negative
3. Tool
4. Boston
5. Queens of the Stone Age

Love to hear comments....

Love to see Stevie at the top of your list, he is UNREAL. I bought the 3-disc+bonus DVD boxset that came out about 4 years ago and its always something I keep going back to. Watching him play Voodoo Chile is absolutely magical. In fact, there isn't a Stevie song out there that I don't love.

I loved watching him do "Pride and Joy" on MTV unplugged when it first started. Just him and a twelve string.....killer!!!

Sam75 said:
I loved watching him do "Pride and Joy" on MTV unplugged when it first started. Just him and a twelve string.....killer!!!

The best song ever by him is Little Wing. You can hear the amp buzzing while he's playing. Its so personal. Yep, him and that guitar.

I have everything ever SRV produced. One of the best is the live disc with BB King. Two legends together.

Sam75 said:
24 hours later, and I still can't hear schiesse!!!

Went to see Dropkick Murphys last Tuesday and it took almost 2 days to get back to normal again...killer show!!!! 2 straight hours in the pit!

NUCC98 said:
Went to see Dropkick Murphys last Tuesday and it took almost 2 days to get back to normal again...killer show!!!! 2 straight hours in the pit!

Errrr.....I love the Murphys!!!!!!

Re: the "pit": I'm getting too old for that nonsense. Sam and I made our way up to about 10 feet or so from the stage, and I came to the conclusion that I'd much rather see the show from further back, and keep my teeth. I was so pre-occupied watching for the first sign of a flying leg or some a-hole kid trying to bull his way past. Just my .02......

My hearing is fine, BTW....I only noticed it yesterday when I woke up but it was better quick....

orrelse said:
Sam...and others if you are interested....check out this link for some samples of the upcoming Queens of the Stone Age new release....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=pcmcat55600050001&type=category

Sounds like they've stepped it down a tad....

QOTSA lassed cd kicked boutte'! "Rated R" sucked though. It's creepy how many people have the same interests in brew, music, and cooking. I've played drums for about 14 years and music, along with beer, IS HUGE IN MY LIFE. I mean, that's what we do for fun. Drink good brew, listen to live music, or go shopping for music. It makes my world go 'round! Some ofthese bands mentioned I have not heard in years...S.O.D! "Speak English Or Die" was a daily music staple when I was in high school. How about FEAR's "More Beer'? A classic for any homebrewer's music collection.

Someone mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan? Man, my brother dragged me to see him when I was 12 or 13 in Beaumont, TX w/ Jason and the Scortchers. Man, he blew me away. I was into Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. and that opened my ears to music. I still love the metal, but I listen to all kinds. From Lyle Lovette to QOTSA! Much like beer, as one of ya'll said. If ya'll like Stevie Ray, check out his brother Jimmy Vaughan. He's last CD "Do you get the Blues" is awesome. Won a grammy in '03 I think. We get to see him when he swings through Beaumont know and then. I've really gotten into blues and the "Texas" music thing. Pat Green, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Charlie Robison, Jack Ingram, Blue Edmondson, etc. That's just great hang'n out with your bud's, BBQ'n, and beer drink'n music.

Also, if anyone likes good, no ******** blues, check out Tab Benoit. He's from Houma, Louisiana and is 100% blues. The guy is incredible live too. I recommend "These Blues Are All Mine", "Sea Saint Sessions", and "Wetlands".

Man, I'm fired up about music now! :D

DeRoux's Broux

Sam75 said:
*clutches chest and falls out of chair*

:D

LOL! Ha, sorry SAM! But , after "Songs for the Deaf", it'll be hard for QOTSA to top that one. But just for you, I'll go home tonight and listen to "R" again. Deal? :D
I forgot to mention my other favorite band...the great......the chunky......the heavy........FU MANCHU! They freak'n ROCK!!!!!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Yeah Fu Manchu rocks, but I didn't care for California Crossing, so I haven't bought any of their stuff since then. I love King of the Road.

If you like them, ever listened to Josh Homme's original band, Kyuss? That's chunky. :D

Sam75 said:
Yeah Fu Manchu rocks, but I didn't care for California Crossing, so I haven't bought any of their stuff since then. I love King of the Road.

If you like them, ever listened to Josh Homme's original band, Kyuss? That's chunky. :D

heard of Kyuss, but never listened to it. yea, california crossing was a little too produced. not raw enough. fu's "the action is go" and "in search of" are two of the best. even better than "king of the road", which is pretty damn good!

i put "rated r" in the truck cd player this morning, so i'll give it another whirl. had to listen to S.O.D. 1st! :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
heard of Kyuss, but never listened to it. yea, california crossing was a little too produced. not raw enough. fu's "the action is go" and "in search of" are two of the best. even better than "king of the road", which is pretty damn good!

i put "rated r" in the truck cd player this morning, so i'll give it another whirl. had to listen to S.O.D. 1st! :D

If you haven't yet, go get ahold of QOTSA's new one....."Lullabies to Paralyze". Holy mama........

I like a lot of different stuff - much of which has been offered up in this thread. Currently, I've been into a lot of newer or more 'out there' stuff - Get Up Kids, Towncrier, Aquabats, Wheatus. Older stuff, too - Weezer, Collective Soul, Fountains Of Wayne, Webb Wilder, Liz Phair, etc. But, whenever I blast tunes, one band always finds it way into the CD player: The Only Band That Still Matters!

Rhoobarb said:
But, whenever I blast tunes, one band always finds it way into the DC player: The Only Band That Still Matters!

A while back my wife and I were browsing in our local music store and "Special One" was playing over the stores system....we were like "who the hell is this?" Turns out the CD playing was the last one the store had in stock, and I swiped it up, mid-song! I think the guy was kind of pissed that we bought it, but, oh well. I still play that disc. I always skip the first song, but the rest is great to just chill by.

orrelse said:
A while back my wife and I were browsing in our local music store and "Special One" was playing over the stores system.... I always skip the first song, but the rest is great to just chill by.

Yeah, I like that one, but it is really different for CT. My favorite 'recent releases' are still their 1997 CD, simply titled Cheap Trick and my Music For Hangovers CD and/or DVD.

A side note: CT guitarist Rick Nielsen is part owner of Piece Brewery & Pizzeria in Chicago. Good pizza and some really nice beers!i

I don't know quite how to feel about this. I'm on the young end of the spectrum for age, but the old end for music.

Beatles (say what you will, but Elvis did not create rock, that was done by John, Paul, George, and Ringo), Floyd, Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Stones, CCR, Bowie.....NIN, TOOL (highly recommend Adam's first band Peach), RHCP (Frusciante's solo stuff is worth checking out, the boy can play), Soundgarden, Audioslave (catch the cornell connection?), Alice in Chains, Nirvana (QOTSA "songs for the deaf" was propelled to a whole new level thanks to Dave Grohl), Sublime....Miles Davis (the king of cool) the list goes on and on and on

At the risk of sounding like Bob Seger, today's music ain't got no soul. Whiny @$$holes complaining about making millions while having no talent and trying to make 13 top ten hits instead of making 1 album. Give me something I can listen to from beginning to end, and one song flows into the next. Not some fragmented piece of crap that a record exec thinks is good. When I want some arrogant prick who doesn't even listen to music to tell me what is good, I'll start watching MTV again.

i agree on Dave Grohl's "energy" on Songs for the deaf, although he only plays on a few tracks. one of the reason's i bought it. i'm kind of in the same boat. i like alot of older music. but, there are some good, new tunes out there. Whiskytown and/or Ryan Adams, Jack Ingram (TX guy), etc. just have to dig a little, and take a chance on buying a cd that could end up as a coaster! :D and no need to pit elvis against the beatles. they both contributed tons to music, then and now........... :p
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

I bought Desert Sessions 9 &10 (Josh Homme and others side project) and I'm quite impressed. I'm new to it--and I haven't heard anything but DS 9 & 10 and DS 1 & 2. I acquired that illegally through Winmx (shhh...) and it freaking rocks. About 7/8ths of it is completely instrumental but it just kicks ass all around. Amazon currently sells it for almost 80 bucks.

Also picked up the very first Queens of the Stone Age disc (after they found a bunch hidden somewhere) and its awesome. I tend to like raw rock way more than the over-produced crap, so this is a treat. That was the one thing about Songs for the Deaf that bugs me....all that radio station mumbo-jumbo between each song, even if some of it is funny....how about "Kip Kasper--I need a saga, what's the saga?, its Songs for the Deaf....." ;)

mr.bill salute on the equipment. my father was a band member (family owned country band though i never aquired a taste for country) and i have most of the band's guitars, fiddles, and such. a few old martins - one les paul gold series - some old gibsons like gibson j-45, and a few epi's. been playing since i was around five or so - acording to the super8 films my dad took :D

but for music you guys sound old .... lol j/k i like a wide variety - when i'm up in the barn brewing you're likely to hear jimi hendrix belting out red house - when i'm down on the porch chilling with a brew you're likely to hear pantera - but i do like the new stuff coming out as far as metal and heavy/hard rock. i just can't deal with the pop - of any generaltion for that matter

Back