Rolling Stone best of lists

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
Are stupid.

Seriously they are turrible. Some highlights

Elvis number 3 on best singers. Elvis was a good singer but is he better than Otis Redding? Whitney Houston (who came in at 34)? Roy Orbison? Al Green, Freddie Mercury (who should be number 2 JMO behind Aretha)? Etta James? I could go on but it's funny.

Bob Dylan at number 7 on that same list. I love Bob Dylan, best song writer of all time, but he's terrible at singing.

Mick Jagger at 16 on that same list. Mick Jagger is even worse than Bob Dylan.

A few highlights from the bottom 50 of the lis as well, Roger Daltrey at 61 (best singer of that style, I take him over Plant easily) Mariah Carey at 79 (she's legit insane but she has pipes) Steve Perry at 76 (such a big snub. Steve Perry is a legend)

Their epically bad 100 greatest guitarists

I'm gonna go on with this one for a bit and just laugh at the various rankings. I'll even give them excluding

4 Keith Richards - Richards is a very good guitarist, but he's not number 4.

8 Eddie Van Halen - This is not a funny one now, but he used to be in the 70s, I think enough guitar geeks finally freaked out that their latest list adjusted.

10 Pete Townshend - Love him, but he's not top 10. He's bottom 20. Great rhythm guitarist but he is garbage at soloing.

11 George Harrison - Very good, but not number 11

12. SRV - How is he not in the top 10? I know he's not far out but for me he's every bit as great as Clapton, Beck, Page, King, and Berry.

16 Derek Trucks - Seriously? I mean whatever he plays for the Allman Brothers and does well, but he's done nothing for the advancement of guitar play, he's not a legend

17 Neil Young - I'm a big time Neil Young fan, love him, but he's not a great guitarist.

24 Angus Young - Love Angus, but he's not this high. Especialyl with the guy behind him Tony Iommi being much more influential and better

28 Johnny Ramone - Come on. 3 chords and 2 minutes. I love the Ramones but no punk guitarist belongs because 60.

Billie Gibbons 32 and Prince 33 - Gonna hit them both cause they're both very talented and like both of them. But they're more famous fo rtheir image than their playing. Prince I'd say is probably closer to this ranking than Gibbons who's about as straight forward of a guitarist as there is. These guys being way above similar players like say Slash is silly

36 Randy Rhoads - Ridiculous, this guy is at worst top 15. Listen to the first 2 Ozzy albums they're gold.

37 Mick Taylor - Another Stones guitarist, blech

38 The Edge -Garbage, he is not good

55 John Lennon - Seriously? Great songwriter and singer but Seriously?

71 Robert Johnson - Don't know if there's more of an influential guitarist not in the top 50

73 Kurt Cobain - Great songwriter, but Garbage guitarist. Love Nirvana, but he probably wouldn't touch the top 200 for me.

87 James Hetfield - My beef isn't that he's on the list cause he is great at rhythm guitar, but that Kurt Hammett isn't on this list. WTFZERS?

92 Dimebag - Ugggggggggh. He should be at worst top 25.

And there's no reason that not at least 1 of guys like Satriani, Vai or Gilbert.

Singers: Robert Plant? Brad Delp? David Coverdale? Sammy Hagar?

A 100 greatest guitarist list without Kirk Hammett on it is absolute garbage. How can you not have Kirk on the list?

SRV out of the top five is ri-cok-u-lus.

I would have put Paige number one myself.

There is no way Roger Daltrey is a better singer than Mariah Carey and Steve Perry. I love Daltrey and would rather listen to him than either, but talent is talent.

Rolling Stone is and always has been a joke except for when Hunter S. Thompson was involved but that is about it. I play NO MIND to their lists. They have always been cheap ways of making people like you and I mad.

A 100 greatest guitarist list without Kirk Hammett on it is absolute garbage. How can you not have Kirk on the list?

SRV out of the top five is ri-cok-u-lus.

I would have put Paige number one myself.

There is no way Roger Daltrey is a better singer than Mariah Carey and Steve Perry. I love Daltrey and would rather listen to him than either, but talent is talent.

Hendrix will forever and always be the best guitarist of all time in my eyes. No one changed the guitar JMO more than Jimi Hendrix. He's the Louis Armstrong of guitar.

Paige is my personal number 2, then Paul Gilbert, SRV and John Petrucci to round out the top 5.

I wouldn't put Daltrey of those 2 myself (Mariah would probably be in my top 10, Perry would likely just miss the cut)

If I was building a list off the top of my head I'd go

1. Aretha (no one was more powerful than her)
2. Mercury (how he's not higher on their list is crazy, guy is the best rock singer and frontman ever)
3.Whitney Houston (come on who doesn't get chills during I will Always Love You?)
4. Chris Cornell (probably an overrate on my part, but he's one of my all-time favorites and his versatile)
5. Ella Fitzgerald
6. Steve Perry
7. Etta James
8. Mariah Carey
9. Roy Orbison
10. Sam Cooke (if you've never heard him listen to him)

I'd have just outside of those guys people like Plant and Daltrey. I love Roger Daltrey I love his voice, but he lacks the pure perfection to make the top 10.

It is Rolling Stone you are talking about. They haven't had any credibility for ages...

Print is dead.

Back