Music, and our listening habits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
As a student of human nature, I have been listening to a lot of music lately, both of my own volition and otherwise. Below are a few things I have noticed. None of these have been taken from any other sources, other than perhaps my fiance.

1) Rap music in Greek sounds goofy. I'm sorry, it just does. I'm still going to shop at the Euro Market though...

2) tUnE-yArDs has been lauded as being an amazing singer-songwriter. I have never heard anything by her, nor will I until she gets that capitalization problem under control.

3) I have never heard a song blasted from a souped up toyota camry and thought "Man I love that song!!"

4) Merengue is the name given to a single song that was written and performed sometime in the 1950s. It has been playing on elevators blasted through ipod earbuds ever since. Another fact, it stinks.

5) There is an albino rapper from Minnesota who is a Muslim. He is quite good. Who knew?

6) Seeing as my last breakup happened at the Met during intermission for Magic Flute, I have a bit of PTSD when it comes to opera. I have heard multiple arguments in favor of the art-form which have been rather well thought out and articulately stated. All I hear, however, is "blah blah blah Im pretentious, blah blah I slept with an extra on Law and Order blah blah". Screw opera.

7) Why hasnt Jurassic 5 put out an album in a while? They are fantastic.

8) Richard James, aka Aphex Twin, AFX, Caustic Window and Polygon Window at one time drove a decommissioned tank around Cornwall in the UK. Your argument is invalid.

9) Requesting "Freebird" at a concert was NEVER funny.

10) I like to wear the band's shirt when I go to the band's show and count how many people come up to me and quote PCU. Dance puppets! Dance!

11) The more obscur the band you like, the more likely you are to get a picture with them.

12) I have no idea why I enjoy getting pictures with obscur acts. Doesnt mean I'll ever delete my picture with Sage Francis.

13) Eminem is so edgy. I recently tried to rhyme the f-word with wounded animal screams and I wound up not nearly as rich. Seriously, 10 years out of poverty you dont get to talk about poverty without sounding like a whiner. Or Bill Cosby.

14) Facebook users counted something like 150 posts from women and girls that all said some variety of "Chris Brown can beat me any day." Just let the rage and vitriol take over for a couple minutes and come back to me. Sorry to do that to you. Have a beer.

and final thought for today:

15) There are multitudes of reasons to listen to old Nirvana albums. The reason I don't is because when I tell people I dont they start overheating and bleeding from the eyes and nose. Its pretty cool. Seriously, did Kurt save each and every American from a burning building or something??

Thanks for listening. Sigh. It will pass.

My ex! It was before we started dating but given the rocky footing we were on at the time it was enough to piss me off pretty well.

15) There are multitudes of reasons to listen to old Nirvana albums. The reason I don't is because when I tell people I dont they start overheating and bleeding from the eyes and nose. Its pretty cool. Seriously, did Kurt save each and every American from a burning building or something??

Thanks for listening. Sigh. It will pass.

I never was a fan of Nirvana. Only reason I even took notice of them is cause I viewed Kurt and his wife as a modern day, american, Sid and Nancy.

I hear ya, they certainly are interesting. There was just so much other music out there that spoke to me more, and music police were and are very actively hunting heretics like me. Another great example of this is Sublime. Cool music, nice sound, just not something I would listen to on repeat years after the lead's death. Youd think I was advocating kicking puppies.
I never was a fan of Nirvana. Only reason I even took notice of them is cause I viewed Kurt and his wife as a modern day, american, Sid and Nancy.

Meh. I was never a big fan of Nirvana. Certainly a refreshing sound and a fantastic songwriter, just not my style. I always thought if I had a drug problem and sad childhood I could have made millions too.

Well put and very entertaining, CG!

To answer one question of yours, J-5 split up after their latest record. Who knows why, the were the BOMB!

I forget the name of the group, but heard a song called "Acid rain drops" the other day that made me think of them. Really really really good stuff.

Of course the other day SWMBO came into the man room and looked at my play list... "Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Watsky, Yak Ballz.... James I am sensing a trend... a horrible, horrible trend..."

I used to immerse myself in listening to music.

Nowadays, I find I usually blcok out whomever is "singing" and just listen to the background tracks. Lyrical talent has been lost in the mainstream and I have no time to search out quality, complete, artists.

I love Atmosphere. For whatever reason the past year or two I have been listening pretty heavily into the genre.
Brother Ali is awesome. You should also check out fellow Minnesota hip-hop artist, Atmosphere. Those two artists are my favorite in the genre.

Back