Irish music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll respectfully disagree with the Flogging Molly comments... I've seen them live four or five times and it's some of the best shows I've ever been too. Dropkick Murphy's??? Yeah, I'll pass on them but I like Floggin Molly a lot.. i don't see The Pogues as a "college crowd" band even remotely and Flogging Molly is almost a carbon copy of the Pogues.

Hey Evan, I don't mean this in some pissy way... but what do you consider "real irish music"?

I really don't see how flogging molly is a carbon copy of The Pogues, i would say the tossers are much closer to the pogues but flogging is very far from the pogues.

and the street dogs irish? they are a boston punk rock band how are they irish music?

And when you are making your Scotland Ales, or Nova Scotia Ales (??), you can plug in some Real McKenzies

I really don't see how flogging molly is a carbon copy of The Pogues, i would say the tossers are much closer to the pogues but flogging is very far from the pogues.

and the street dogs irish? they are a boston punk rock band how are they irish music?

No I guess you're right... I don't what I was thinking. I kept getting hung up on the fact that they all use the exact same instruments, a mix a "traditional" (tin whistles, fiddles, mandolins, etc) and modern to play "irish sounding" punk. But I guess you're right, they do use different words for lyrics. They're worlds apart.

Put "Turkish Song of the Damned" on sometime and then pop in "Another Bag of Bricks" and explain to me how they're not incredibly similar.

And who said anything about the Street Dogs being irish music?? Although they are cut from the same cloth as DKM. The Street Dogs were started by an ex-DKM member. But you're right, I don't see DKM OR Street Dogs as "irish" music. They're Boston punk... and since Boston has a huge Irish population and culture, they tend to somehow get lumped into that.

I made mention of Street Dogs. The only reason they were on my mind at the time of posting is because they usually play the Shamrock Fest in DC with a lineup of Irish bands, usually including Flogging Molly. I would agree they are not Irish, that is why I had put "Irish" in quotes in the original post.

I love Dropkick, Flogging, and the Tossers. I like each of them for different elements.

I like Dropkick for their punk focus. I like their Irish influenced songs and I love their straight street punk songs. They put on a great show that usually has a pretty good mix of people (including a surpising number of older people). I've seen them 4 times in the past ten years and have never walked out of the show wishing they had more stage presence or crowd involvement.

I like the Murphy's too. I don't think they make any great claims to "Irish Music" but rather fuse irish music and punk. I think now, they are more "Boston Irish" rather than pure Irish. Also, they're very strongly rooted in workingman/union causes.

I recently got into the Tossers and they are far more traditional than the other two. They are very talented and make a great background for brewing. My favorite of theirs is "Whiskey makes me crazy". That's a winner in my books.

The Tossers are similar to the Murphy's also. They have a lot of punk and irish influences. Where they're from is a big influence too. A lot of the songs have a Chicago south-side Irish feel to them. One of my favorite Irish punk bands.

I don't want to lock it.

I've tried to clean up the thread and deleted later the comments and request/warnings that are OT. I believe all involved have seen and replied to the relevant posts.

Any more at all and it will be locked. I said above that people bicker and argue about any controversial issues. Start a new thread in the appropriate forum if wish to debate things other than music.

Please don't prove me wrong in not locking it.

Just remembered another fantastic band that hail from the Emerald Isle. Saw them when I was in college, forgot all about them until this thread.

Dervish, here performing an old Dylan tune:

[youtube]KNFRvQrvLtM[/youtube]

And a series of reels called John Blessings:
[youtube]h5wQAJNdqic[/youtube]

The Dubliners. Christy Moore and Planxty. Bill Craig. Penny Whiskey( not very traditional but really good.

I met bill craig in Florida in an Irish brewbup names Murphy's. Very cool bar, very cool guy.
n1158900032_30507725_1822019.jpg

You know he was in boondock saints?

Whoever threw the Tossers out here in this thread... THANK YOU!!! Downloaded 6 albums... Halfway through right now.

This Friday morning's brew day will be brought to me by the Tossers!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYwTOjPMkNw]YouTube - Kinky Boots - Bill Craig[/ame]
this guy is fun.

Here's something we can all agree on. The worst Irish music band has to be the Saw Doctors. I used to really like them and listed to them oftern in college, but now they make me want to puke. It's just too sickly sweet and popish for my taste....

edit: i dig your reels flyangler!

saw docotors...lol, it's like bono mutated and started playing folk tunes...
up shane and the pogues!

[youtube]TaHMG_SvUkw[/youtube]

[youtube]-WFBC-PEnTI[/youtube]

[youtube]YVXyGbC86MA[/youtube]

finally, cait is hawt!!!!

[youtube]FJt4y4fH938[/youtube]

I love a good bit of Irish. But that sound is not unique to Ireland. Welsh, and English folk music has a similar ring. It's just not well known.

Ignore the hilarious 70's clothes. This is English folk music done with new fangled electricity. I think it could easily be mistaken as Irish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzwbYyvWiU]YouTube - All Around My Hat Original Promo Video[/ame]

Back