Murky Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first all grain BIAB is fermenting in a carboy and I have never seen a beer so cloudy. I think there are several reasons for it, mash temperature hit 160 for about a minute, I do not have a immersion chiller and it took about a hour to cool the beer to 75 pitching temperature. Also, I really squeezed the grain bag, maybe too much. I am attempting to make a Belgian golden ale. The yeast variety was WLP 570. I mean a can't even shine a flashlight through the glass carboy and see any light through the other side. My question is two fold: How do I prevent this in the future (a wort chiller has already been ordered) and is there any way to clear this murky brew now that the damage has been done? Thanks for your help.

Brad

BIAB, no-chill brews can have far less clarity going into the fermentor than a traditional mash and chill, but it all settles out given enough time. I usually give it 3-4 weeks in the fermentor, then cold crash, sometimes use gelatin, and the beer is perfectly clear.

Back