Muntons Hopped Extract in 3 Gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying one of Muntons' hopped LME cans that are typically 3.3 lbs and brewing a 2.5 gallon batch in my 3 gallon carboy.

Most suggestions I've read are for 5 or 6 gallon batches and typically include an addition of 2 or 3 pounds of DME to boost the gravity and flavor, but I think if I do a smaller batch, the can will be plenty.

Am I right to suggest that the half batch is equivalent to a 5 gallon batch with 2 cans of LME (1 hopped, 1 not)?

Could the bitterness be too much since the recipe for the can has 5 gallons in mind?

Could the bitterness be too much since the recipe for the can has 5 gallons in mind?
That definitely makes sense. I might try it nonetheless. I think the worst case scenario is that if it is very bitter, I'll let it rest for a little while and try it a few months later.

I think I've seen/ heard of people use two of those cans instead of adding the kilo of sugar or dme. This would mean that 1 can may just work for a 2.5 gallon batch. It may also depend on how bitter the style of beer is supposed to be and how bitter you like it. I guess it all depends on what you like

I think you are on to something. At the end of the day, I'm out $18 bucks if it turns out bad, but it's likely just going to be stronger than usual, which isn't that bad afterall.

I'm sure it will be fine for what you are looking for. Keep us posted if you do it and how it tastes

I'm sure it will be fine for what you are looking for. Keep us posted if you do it and how it tastes
2.5 gallons of wort sitting in my 3 gallon carboy right now. Waiting for it to cool down. Checked 10 minutes ago and it was 82'F in my hydrometer flask (yes, I know that's not as accurate as the carboy itself). I'm about an hour and 20 minutes into this brew day...probably could go quicker.

OG 1.047...about what I was aiming for with the half batch.

Racked today after about 3 and a half weeks of primary fermentation. FG was 1.018, which is less attenuated than I had expected, but we'll see how it tastes carbonated in about a week.

Perhaps the lack of extract or corn sugar leaves a higher level of unfermentable sugars? Or if using the yeast that came with it perhaps something there.

Perhaps the lack of extract or corn sugar leaves a higher level of unfermentable sugars? Or if using the yeast that came with it perhaps something there.
I wondered that myself. I'm not the best at reading hydrometers either. Mine was saying 1.020 then leaning on the side of the flask reading 1.017 (before temp adjustment) when I tested 5 or 6 times.

I would tend to suspect the yeast. The extract does probably have some carapils in it, but it should attenuate better than that, unless the yeast is super non-attenuative, like Windsor.

Tasting right now. It's a very drinkable Irish Dry Stout, with a toasty character akin to Ohara's Irish Dry Stout. This experiment worked out, despite FG questions!

Obviously it worked & that's great.
FYI, I have for many years brewed a Coopers two-can stout.
It turns out strong tasting & bitter, but I regard it a decent clone of Guinness & the cost is minimal, just two cans nothing else, even the Coopers kit yeast works (under any conditions).
As I say, FYI

Obviously it worked & that's great.
FYI, I have for many years brewed a Coopers two-can stout.
It turns out strong tasting & bitter, but I regard it a decent clone of Guinness & the cost is minimal, just two cans nothing else, even the Coopers kit yeast works (under any conditions).
As I say, FYI
I've heard of this before. You can't go wrong with a decent clone of Guinness.

Back