Muntons bitter apple taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meni0n

Reaction score
Good day,

I brewed up a Muntons premium bitter kit with 500g amber dme, 500g dextrose and 250g maltodextrine. I also used Nottingham yeast instead of the kit yeast. It's been in the primary for about two weeks, I just took a gravity reading and it's at around 1.018. I also tasted it and it has a slight apple taste to it and I also do not detect any bitterness at all. Might this be due to the Nottingham yeast?

The apple taste is from acetaldehyde, one of the intermediate products of fermentation and it simple means that the yeast aren't done yet. Give the beer a bit more time and that flavor should go away. You might not notice bitterness until your beer is carbonated. Adding CO2 changes the flavor a great deal.

Oh, this is an English bitter? They really aren't bitter unless you compare then against an English mild.

Acetaldahyde is a natural by product of fermentation. A less than healthy yeast pitch can be to blame. I think combining that with high initial ferment (pitch) temps can aid this process. But extra time in primary after FG is reached can start turning them into alcohol,say 3-7 days on average. bottle time,I've noticed,can also help clean up & settle out these things.

I looked up my calendar and I made the mistake thinking it's been two weeks. It's been in the primary for only a week which might explain why the fermentation is not done yet. I'm leaving it there for another two weeks before bottling so here's hoping it turns out good.

Make sure to use your hydrometer to verify that the ferment is really over. The batch I bottled today had reached its projected FG at two weeks so since I had the lid open I put the dry hops in thinking I would bottle in about 5 days. That kicked off another round of fermentation that lasted another 2 weeks and took my beer from 1.016 to 1.002. Wow was it good tasting and the aroma of the dry hops filled the whole house and didn't dissipate for a couple hours after I had cleaned up everything.

So it's been almost two weeks and I think I made quiet a mistake. My SG was at 1.040 but I didn't take into account that the maltodextrine will add to the gravity. I took a reading yesterday and it was at 1.018 which would yield me a 3% beer. I am theorizing that it's due to the maltodextrine. I fermented at 66-68 and right now it's sitting at 68. I am now thinking of putting maybe another 500g of dextrose to add another 1% to final ABV. Is this feasible at two weeks?

It might not be done yet. Give it a few more days & check it to see if it's going down anymore. The Maltodextrine wouldn't leave an Fg that high unless you added a lot of it.

Back