Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I need to get some Munich and I live close enough to mid country to do a pick up order. Basically, for a few bucks more I get 50lbs. I'm just wondering if I should get the Munich I 6-8 or the Munich II 9-12. Some of my recipes only call for a pound or two of munich. Now that I have the freezer for lagering, I plan on some recipes that will be at least 50% munich.

This is not necessarily a suggestion for you, but what I do is get the 50lb sacks of Munich I and put a few pounds in the oven at 300 for a few minutes to toast it if I want more color. Usually I just use the malt as-is with great results, but that will depend on your recipe and the style of beer you're shooting for.

Got any examples of the recipes that call for Munich malt? Perhaps we'll take a look and see what would be more appropriate for your application(s).

Cheers,
TB

Here's a few recipes I'm using the Munich in. There will be more of course and as soon as I get a new brew pot, I'll be adjusting for 10 gallon batches.

Dunkel
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.35 %
4.75 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 41.30 %
4.00 lb Great Western 2Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (34.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.75 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
0.50 lb Belgian Chocolate (325.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.30 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

Alt
Ingredients
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 51.28 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 25.64 %
2.00 lb Caramunich Malt (34.0 SRM) Grain 20.51 %
0.25 lb Belgian Chocolate (325.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
3.00 oz Spalt [2.84 %] (60 min) Hops 29.4 IBU
1.00 oz Spalt [2.84 %] (30 min)

7.50 lb Great Western 2Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.18 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.76 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.82 %
0.75 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.82 %
0.63 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.89 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3.88 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 45L (45.0 SRM) Grain 2.95 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 85L (85.0 SRM) Grain 2.95 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)

5.50 lb Great Western 2Row
5.00 lb Munich Malt -
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt
1.00 oz Hallertauer [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.7 IBU

Try experimenting with using Munich as your base malt - I've made a cream stout, a red ale, and an APA with mostly Munich with good results.

The 9L is more typical for Light Munich malt, the 6L is almost like halfway between a Vienna and typical Light Munich malt. For recipes just calling for a pound or two I'd use the 9L. You can use either as a base but I tend to use the 6L more for that.

Seriously, is there any recipe where you can honestly tell me that you can detect less than a pound of Munich? Or Vienna for that matter??

Outside of Uber-Pro's like Jamil, I highly doubt any of us can detect such a small amount of a base malt in any recipe.

Seriously, is there any recipe where you can honestly tell me that you can detect less than a pound of Munich? Or Vienna for that matter??

I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell most times. I suppose that the different lb or 2 of a different base might be the little thing one just can't figure out in a particular beer.
When I find something that warms the cockles of my heart so, that I need to find the clone recipe, I don't deviate from the first couple batches, than just little tweaks.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell most times. I suppose that the different lb or 2 of a different base might be the little thing one just can't figure out in a particular beer.
When I find something that warms the cockles of my heart so, that I need to find the clone recipe, I don't deviate from the first couple batches, than just little tweaks.

German Pilsner?

1pound in a recipe probably wont stand out but it might make a overall difference in taste compared to wtihout it. you might not be able to tell its vienna or munich, but something slightly different that improves it or rounds it out

Outside of Uber-Pro's like Jamil, I highly doubt any of us can detect such a small amount of a base malt in any recipe.
I'm pretty sure I couldn't and have wondered about some recipes that have such small amounts. I usually use it as a % of the base. If I'm using <1 lb I'll usually use something like Aromatic, Honey malt, Melanoidin, Dark Munich, etc. to get any extra maltiness.

If it were me and I were buying a bulk sack of Munich, I'd get the darker Munich and cut it down with Vienna and/or Pilsner if I need to lighten a recipe.

If it were me and I were buying a bulk sack of Munich, I'd get the darker Munich and cut it down with Vienna and/or Pilsner if I need to lighten a recipe.

Sounds like a fine idea. Once again, common sense jumps to the foreground and provides an elegant and simple plan. Danke (given enough time and hand wrenching, I might have come to this conclusion as well:)

Back