Munich Type Malts are Better for You

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
As well as any others that have the resultant milliard reactions form melanoidins, which include Dark Belgian Candi Syrup! :)

Found this the other day while browsing the web. The premise entails these given effects.

"Melanoidins formed at the last stage of the Maillard reaction have been pointed out to possess certain functional properties such as antioxidant, antimicrobial and antihypertensive activities."

Found this interesting thought I would share.

I keep telling my wife that the Bavarian weisse, helles, and bocks I brew are for my health...

So far, she ain't buying it.

First we have all this research that beer (& wine, % c.) are good for you. Then we have the recent recommendation from certain elements in the UK medical establishment that any person should have three "alcohol-free" days per week or risk alcohol addiction by repetition (...or something).

1. I assume that "alcohol-free" in this case isn't what all of us homebrewers would like it to be.

2. I assume that they don't mean that we can just compile those three days out of our sleepy-time.

3. This constant contradiction is what we seem to get when people just throw around inconclusive "studies."

I'll leave the final word on this question to that well-known philosopher of our time, Mr. Lewis Black:

"The people who told us about sun block were the same people who told us, when I was a kid, that eggs were good. So I ate a lot of eggs. Ten years later they said they were bad. I went, "Well, I just ate the eggs!" So I stopped eating eggs, and ten years later they said they were good again! Well, then I ate twice as many, and then they said they were bad. Well, now I'm really ****ed! Then they said they're good, they're bad, they're good, the whites are good, th-the yellows - make up your mind! It's breakfast I've gotta eat!"

"Alcohol free days?"
That seems to contradict the whole French paradox.

I guess my feeling is people forget that science just gathers some evidence. No study is 100% conclusive, and in fact its pretty much impossible to truly prove something with science - you just get so much evidence that its almost impossible for it to be an incorrect conclusion. That's why I hate hearing about "new studies" on the news, statistically speaking any one study in a vacuum doesn't really mean anything.

I saw a youtube video about ancient beers (this one Egyptian). They found that the bones of their ancient dead contained high amounts of Tetracycline. After following the ancient Egyptian recipe for the beer,they found that it came from all the beer they drank as payment for the day's work. I wonder if those guys were aware of that one?

Msarro, my take on science is embrace the results that benefit me and reject the ones that don't, unless they are truly undeniable. :)

Union, my guess is that they knew beer is life, provides life, and in massive consumption, could help initiate the conception of life :)

As if I needed an excuse to brew a 98% Munich/2% Carafa III doppelbock.

Be careful if you do this--you will need to ensure your mash schedule accommodates the fact that Munich needs extra time and/or extra rests to convert. I just made a bock and a doppelbock with around 90% Munich plus some caramunich, pilsner, and chocolate malt. I wondered why I was missing my target OGs, and found out after that Munich doesn't behave the same as other base malts. You wouldn't notice in a recipe that had a lot of pilsner malt to help the Munich convert, but you sure notice when Munich is 90% of the grist. I believe in his book "Bock" (I'm waiting on delivery from Amazon), Richman recommends a max of 93% Munich malt (maybe 90%?). 98% is a lot of Munich!

Be careful if you do this--you will need to ensure your mash schedule accommodates the fact that Munich needs extra time and/or extra rests to convert. I just made a bock and a doppelbock with around 90% Munich plus some caramunich, pilsner, and chocolate malt. I wondered why I was missing my target OGs, and found out after that Munich doesn't behave the same as other base malts. You wouldn't notice in a recipe that had a lot of pilsner malt to help the Munich convert, but you sure notice when Munich is 90% of the grist. I believe in his book "Bock" (I'm waiting on delivery from Amazon), Richman recommends a max of 93% Munich malt (maybe 90%?). 98% is a lot of Munich!

A lot of this depends on how darkly kilned the Munich malt is. Weyermann Light Munich (DP 47) won't have any problems converting itself, whereas Briess Munich (DP 20-30) will give you all kinds of headaches.

A lot of this depends on how darkly kilned the Munich malt is. Weyermann Light Munich (DP 47) won't have any problems converting itself, whereas Briess Munich (DP 20-30) will give you all kinds of headaches.

Interesting. This weekend's doppelbock included 18 lbs of Weyermann Munich light in the 23.75 lb grain bill. I think part of my problem came from working with that much grain in my 10 gallon mash tun--it was full to the brim and I was having trouble stirring and getting good temperature readings. As a result my maltose rest targeting 146 was more like 150. A few weeks ago I missed my gravity on the low side with my traditional bock (about 45% Munich light, 45% Munich Dark with some pils, caramunich and chocolate) and my temps were fine. Usually I hit my target OG right on. I think in the future I will employ a rest in the 135 range with Munich malts to help conversion as well.

This is what I love about this forum. I make an offhanded, pithy comment and I get some honest to goodness useful advice.

How does 80% Munich 10L, 18% German Pilsner and 2% Carafa III sound?

Sounds good, I think. Make good choices with your yeast and hops as well (Hallertauer is traditional). A bock should have no roast character--will Carafa III affect the taste at all?

I was just going to do it for color as a personal preference. My recipe has me at 27 SRM. I can always dial it back an ounce or two and still have an SRM in the low-mid 20s.

carafa special I,II&III (the dehusked stuff) is ideal for darkening german styles without adding much roast flavor.

my efficiency this weekend with 95% munich 8.3L was about 65%. That's about 5% less than where I usually am. That may be due to the munich(single temp 154 for 60 mins), the fact that i sparged a little faster than normal, or it may be within the margin of error. But it is an interesting data point regardless.

Back