Munich malt based ale recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have about 30lbs of Munich to use up, and so far, I've made German lagers. I have a doppelbock fermenting now, a Munich SMaSH lager with Hallertau (pretty much a Marzen), and an Altbier (that I made with non-traditional lager yeast).

I need ideas on how to use this up, and I'm a little tired of malty german beers haha.

So I'm looking for ale recipes that use Munich as a primary base malt, and are balanced to hoppy, or otherwise more interesting than a clean german beer.

Maybe a Munich/Cascade APA SMaSH?
Munich based DIPA?
Munich based brett beer or sour?

All idea appreciated!

Northern German Altbier is one I made with Munich. It was quite good and similar to a California common.

American Strong Ale with 100% Munich is something I was actually thinking of brewing within the next couple months. 100% Munich malt, and then hop it up with the classic C hops like Cascade, Centennial and Columbus. My plan is to ferment it with WY1007.

American Strong Ale with 100% Munich is something I was actually thinking of brewing within the next couple months. 100% Munich malt, and then hop it up with the classic C hops like Cascade, Centennial and Columbus. My plan is to ferment it with WY1007.

Isn't an american strong ale darker than 100% munich can get?

My currently on-tap Munich smash is only about 8 SRM, it's a golden color, not the dark brown to black that Arrogant Bastard or Irish Death is.

I could definitely see a munich based stout or strong ale working though... That's not a bad idea at all

a brown ale is a good idea, lots of maltiness from the Munich. Most brown ales are too thin in my book anyway. Thanks!
Exactly my thoughts. I've been brewing a lot of German lagers lately and have come to love Munich and Vienna malts, so I too am trying to find new ways to use these favorite malts in unconventional ways.

Exactly my thoughts. I've been brewing a lot of German lagers lately and have come to love Munich and Vienna malts, so I too am trying to find new ways to use these favorite malts in unconventional ways.

I just started working on a munich based american stout recipe inspired by hanuswalrus' comment above.

11lb munich
1lb crystal 60
1lb flaked barley
8 oz chocolate malt
6 oz black (patent) malt

2.5 oz cascade at 60 minutes
1.0 oz simcoe at 5 minutes
1.0 oz cascade at 5 minutes

WY1056 American Ale yeast

1.067 OG
60 IBU
34 SRM

The munich and the simcoe would give this otherwise "blah" basic stout recipe a little flare. I was debating adding something a little more exotic for a sweet flavor like lactose or honey malt.

Isn't an american strong ale darker than 100% munich can get?

My currently on-tap Munich smash is only about 8 SRM, it's a golden color, not the dark brown to black that Arrogant Bastard or Irish Death is.

I could definitely see a munich based stout or strong ale working though... That's not a bad idea at all

I'm showing an expected color of ~12 SRM using 100% German Munich Light, according to Brewer's Friend. BJCP says the style can range from 7-19 SRM. Munich based stout would be nice too.

I'm showing an expected color of ~12 SRM using 100% German Munich Light, according to Brewer's Friend. BJCP says the style can range from 7-19 SRM. Munich based stout would be nice too.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1484683718.885843.jpg

Hmm yup, you're right! I've just never actually seen one that light. Sounds like a good style for the Munich though!

That's the color I got from 100% light munich using a double decoction mash btw. (That was my pre-boil gravity sample, and it didn't noticeably darken during the boil.

Latest posts

Back