Munich Dunkel with Trappist Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a 10-gallon batch of a double-decocted Munich Dunkel this weekend. Half is getting a lager yeast (duh), but I was thinking about maybe fermenting the other half with WLP500 or 530.

The recipe is super simple - 90% Munich, 8% pils, 2% Carafa Special III. 1.054 OG, 25 IBU of Hallertau @60 minutes.

For the version with belgian yeast I'll probably throw in half a pound to a pound of cane sugar.

Has anybody else tried something like this? If so, how did it turn out?

I decided to go ahead and try it. OG came out at 1.060, but then I accidentally spilled a few gallons down the drain. :mad:

My bucket fermenter reads 4 gallons, so I'll probably get around 3.5... hopefully it's worth it!

Follow up on this: the Lager half is one of the best beers I've ever made. Rich and ready, with hints of caramel, chocolate and toffee.

The Belgian one... it's super weird. I'm hoping it will age out, but it has an unpleasant harsh, metallic/oxidized flavor.

Sorry to hear that. I made a very good Belgian last year using 530. I have a split batch right now making a Belgian Pale/Dubbel with Wyeast3787.

Love Dunkel and brew a similar recipe as yours. Not a big Belgian fan so I probably would of went with a cleaner Ale yeast for a split batch.

Back