Multipurpose HERMs Coil tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordHafen

Reaction score
So i had an epiphany of sorts. i was thinking i am going to go with a HERMs coil tank for my brew setup, and as a background i also make moonshine. so here was my idea not sure if i am explaining it right

DSC00605.jpg

A HERMs coil is a copper tube running through a tank, mash is heated by the surrounding water keeping it at a certain temperature.

Moonshine uses a Worm. vapor is cooled re-condensing back into a liquid form using COLD water surrounding a copper tube.

wormbucket2.jpg

So, if i were to make a HERMs coil with 2 extra in/out , for cold water (circulation of cold water around the coil) which i could close by valves turning it back into a HLT it would serve me two purposes.

Then another epiphany, it would also serve as a wort chiller, i could after mashing and the boil turn the water on to start cooling the copper coil run the mash back through the coil acting as a inverted wort chiller

dscf2628.jpg

Does anyone understand where i am going with this? see any potential problems? has it been done before? maybe not for moonshine but a wort chiller/HLT?

Can't talk about distilling here...

Yes a lot of people use their herms coil as a chiller. The key for both operations is having the hot/cold water surrounding the coil in constant circulation.

Latest posts

Back