Multiply Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codfishhead

Reaction score
I make starters for ever beer I brew. What I’m wondering is how to maximize this process.

Say I have a smack pack and make a starter. How can I insure the yeast continues to grow to make the starter 10 times what it started at?

I’ve been adding more wort about 12 hrs after I start the starter and it seems to be working but I’m not sure if I’m adding the new wort at the best time.

When is it most efficient to add more wort to keep the yeast multiplying? Also how much? Should I keep adding .040 every 12hrs or increase it for more yeast production?

Thx

Jay

Simply adding more wort part way through the multiplying stage is a very unsophisticated way to do it.
A more accurate way would be to use a precise amount of starter wort, at a specific gravity, used with a yeast that has been calculated for starting cells (viability by age) and calculating the end cell count using an on-line calculator like cooper has suggested. I like Brewers friend: http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/
It will also help in multiple step starters for larger cell growth.

Back