Multiple yeast in brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunnelvision

Reaction score
Hey just throwing an idea out there wondering if people have done this. Has anyone used two different strains in a single batch before?
Just wondering if you could try making a hybrid beer style using two or more strains. Hoping for some fun conversation on this

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have done this a few times. If I pitch brett it's usually pitched with the main strain. That being said I've pitched multiple strains of Brett into an all Brett beer as well. As for clean yeasts, I've blended WLP550 and WLP530 in a BDSA. I wanted to blend those two profiles together. Turned out pretty great. Blending Belgian strains is fun.

I loved an IIPA I used both US-05 and S-04 in. I didn't get a super different flavor profile, maybe a little softer than 05 alone, but it worked really well with fruity hops. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I do a tripel using 3787 and 1214. Comes out great. The first time I just added small starters of both in equal parts. 1214 is know for starting slow so that brew tasted mostly like 3787. Next batch I made a bigger starter of 1214 and. just pitched a smack pack of 3787. This had more of the balance I was looking for.

Have fun and experiment.

There is nothing wrong in doing this and many people do it. the difficulty comes in the predictability of what you will get as one strain will typically prove stronger than the other and it's a crap shoot as to which one it is.

Back