Multiple-yeast Cider possible ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
Just wondering --- maybe someone knows more about this...

Say I pitch my juice with a commercial yeast - ie Nottingham. And leave it to ferment a cool/cold place. Say the temperature eventually drops (because winter is coming and my shed is getting colder and colder), and the Notty goes dormant from the cold temps. If the temperature stays low for an extended periode of time, will a wild yeast strain eventually take over, and continue the fermentation ? And will this result in a cider made from multiple yeasts ?

Possible, yes. From my experience though, commercial yeasts ferment more vigorously than wild yeasts, so I'm doubtful a wild strain would take over, but you never know. I guess it depends on the strain and the temperature. I think what would happen most likely is that all the yeasts would stall if it was cold enough, then pick back up again when it warms up in the spring.

Latest posts

Back