Multiple taps with one regulator??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just wondering, how many taps can i run off of one regulator? I have a converted full size fridge, and i would like to run two or three taps.

I saw someone run three beer lines off one regulator...you are just stuck with one pressure level, so if you wanted a higher carbonation level for one and a lower level for the other, it won't happen.

multiple taps are not an issue. You just have to keep a few things in mind. Get one way valves for the plastic tubing going to each keg so you dont get back flow like I did and end up transferring beer from 1 keg to another by accident. And you just need to keep in mind that you can't force carb one while simultaneously serving another, 1 regulator means you choose 1 pressure for all kegs connected.

I saw someone run three beer lines off one regulator...you are just stuck with one pressure level, so if you wanted a higher carbonation level for one and a lower level for the other, it won't happen.

This is the only issue that I see you possibly running into. You may want to think about getting a dual body regulator so that you can at least have 2 different pressures to carb/serve.

At a single pressure you can run as many as your fridge can hold. I have a 6 port manifold. I have seen as many as 20 hooked up to a single regulator by way of a manifold.

For what you want there are a couple ways to do it. A three port distribution bar manifold, a 3 port threaded stem (screws into regulator out), or a 4 way cross (one leg for gas in to the cross).

Personally, I like the distribution bars. They just look cleaner, IMO, and they really aren't very expensive if you shop around.

If at some point you decide you do want multiple pressures well, then you just get an in-line low pressure regulator and branch off of that.

you have no problem running that many. just make sure you have an air disributor so u can run that many lines. Personally, I am wanting to use a couple secondary regulators so that I can have kegs at dif temps. I am slowly buying parts for that and right now am using this. many people run more then 4 kegs off of one reg, one thing i would make sure of though is that you have check valves whereever you can so that one little leak wont drop the pressure in all your kegs

How important is serving at different pressures?

Is it that noticeable?

I have a dual regulator setup, but plan on keeping one at 30 psi most of the time. My sons have decided that making soda is cool, so I have to carb 2 liter bottles a lot.

multiple taps are not an issue. You just have to keep a few things in mind. Get one way valves for the plastic tubing going to each keg so you dont get back flow like I did and end up transferring beer from 1 keg to another by accident. And you just need to keep in mind that you can't force carb one while simultaneously serving another, 1 regulator means you choose 1 pressure for all kegs connected.

Why can't you? You won't be able to do a quicky 1-3 day force carb, but the set it and forget force carbing will work just fine. If you have a balanced system, your serving pressures and carbing pressures should be the same.

How important is serving at different pressures?

Is it that noticeable?

I have a dual regulator setup, but plan on keeping one at 30 psi most of the time. My sons have decided that making soda is cool, so I have to carb 2 liter bottles a lot.

some beers are better/worse at different carbonation levels. Mostly, its all personal preference, but it also amounts to the beers appearance and its feel. With multiple regulators, you can adjust each keg according to their/your needs. Basically, it gives you much more control over your overall experience.

Why can't you? You won't be able to do a quicky 1-3 day force carb, but the set it and forget force carbing will work just fine. If you have a balanced system, your serving pressures and carbing pressures should be the same.

example. my hefeweizen, the recommended force carb psi at 38 degrees is 27psi. so am i serving at 27psi? or am i supposed to carb it, then back it down to a regular 12psi for serving? :mug:

I would imagine you would have to back it down for serving- You can still pressure carb by disconnecting/shutting off your serving CO2 line, blasting the one you are carbing with about 30 PSI, disconnect/turn off and reset it back to serving pressure (carbing with CO2 can bed done in a few days by blasting with high CO2 for a few days, or about 12 PSI over an extended period; both work best when chilling the keg). Little more work but depends on how often you do it to make the $ difference justifiable.

Most serving PSI, depending on the setup and the beer, is 8 to maybe 16 PSI... typically 8-14 I'd say.

yeah. But do you bleed the excess pressure off before dialing it down?
Otherwise it would seem that it would dispense at the original psi until an equilibrium was reached

Your totally correct. I was thinking of a high pressure quick force carb, thats the only way I do it because of my setup. If you slowly carb it, 10psi for example you can easily do both but it will take a longer time.

i'm currently running 3 taps on 1 regulator with a 3 way air distributor with individual shut offs. i have not yet had all three taps flowing so i can't say how well it works full bore yet. really the biggest and pretty much only downfall is the inability to set each keg to indiviual serving pressures. you can force carb a keg with the others hooked up provided you have individual shut off valves, just isolate the desired keg and go.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

I tee mine off, it works but I really want to get a manifold to regulate independently..

I have a manifold and if 1 beer is carbed and ready to go, I just shut off gas to that keg and crank the pressure up to 30 psi to force carb the new beer. If I need more gas in the already carbed keg, I just open the manifold valve for 5 seconds or so then close again. I do this until the new keg is carbed, then I open both valves and set to serving pressure again.

Linc

Back