MultiHead Hops, Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a first year Multihead Hop variety that is about 12' tall. Compared to my Neo1 hop plant the Hop Cones look very strange. I was away for a few days and some of the hop cones seem to be drying out and flaking/losing petals. I have tried googling for images but I can't seem to find anything. Can anyone look at the pictures and tell me what to expect.

Are these actually multiple baby cones that will eventually grow out?

First Picture - You can see the yellow dry leaves that flake off when touched.

For some reason all of the pictures were rotated 90degrees.

Thanks!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

I haven't grown the "multihead" variety before but the bottom picture looks like male flowers about ready to "bloom". That would make me guess the top picture is after they've released their pollen but I don't know for sure because I've never let a male live that long.

Check a few other threads and you will see pictures of burrs, which eventually become cones. Do you see anything like that on this plant? If not, you've probably got a male. If you do, its possible this is a stressed out female that is popping out both just like cascade is known to do.

Thanks for the reply. Just googled "Male Hop Flowers" and that is definitely what I have. I can't say that I see any burrs.

When you say stressed, what do you mean by that. Everything about it's growth and leaves makes me think it is healthy.

I ordered the rhizome from Adventures in Homebrewing. How often does it happen that a Male would be shipped?

Yeah those are difinately males. I've heard if they get stressed, meaning too much heat too soon or the like it'll make them turn hermy or throw some males, but this looks like a full on male plant!

Get a hold of Adventures and see what they say..couldn't hurt

I'm sending them an email now. I live just north of Dallas so I only ordered a total of 6 rhizomes. Three different New Mexico varieties that I hoped would do well with the heat we have. My other Multihead Rhizome never sprouted. Mainly want to let them know because if someone ordered a whole bunch it would be very disappointing for them. I'll just be happy if my other two varieties can survive the summer.

A plant can be stressed while still growing. It could be heat, drought, too much sunshine, too little sunshine, constricted roots (growing in too tiny of a pot), etc. We've had some varieties grow to well over 20 feet and still be stressed out enough to through out burrs and boys.

Its pretty rare to send out a male rhizome. We get 1 or 2 for every 4,000 to 5000 we plant. I guess it depends on where they harvested it. I would be interested in hearing what they give you as an answer.

Whether not it is a male or female, can the flowers pollen affect the New Mexican Amallia that is 20' away from it and the New Mexican Neo1 that is around the corner of the house.

If it really is a stressed female what is the best thing to do? Should I snip off the flowers? Is there a chance it will be fine for next year?

I would say theres may be a 1% chance its stressed and 99% chance its just a male plant. Especially considering that you say its never had any female flowers.

Your best bet is just to pull it and start again.

There are plenty of other people growing in the same Texas heat you are and their plants arent turning.

If its truly a male, which sounds likely, it will pollinate the other hops as well as anything within about 1 mile downwind.

If its a hermaphadite, it probably is sterile.

If you really want to try to give this every chance, cut off all the little male clusters this year. When it starts showing male next year, hack it down and rip out the roots.

Back